Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Neck Profile on ES-339

#1 User is offline   Tech21 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:53 PM

I am looking to purchase an ES 339 (or possibly an CS 336) and I would like to know which of the 2 neck profiles on offer on the 339 would suit me better.

I can’t actually go to my local music shop to do the simple thing and try them both out because I live in New Zealand and I have no music shop anywhere near me who stock Gibson Guitars. I bought all my Guitars in the UK and moved to NZ two years ago.

Amongs other guitars I have, the Gibson's and Epiphone that I own are : -
A 2005 Gibson ’61 SG re-issue.
A 1973/4 Gibson SG Standard (dated from the pots, October 1973)
A 2005 Epiphone ES 335 Dot Made in the Peerless factory, Korea.

The ’61 SG neck I find to be slightly too slim for my taste.
The ’74 SG is fine but is narrower across the Nut end of the neck than the ’61 Re-Issue.
The Epiphone ES 335 neck is very comfortable.
In all honesty the best feeling guitar neck that I own is on a PRS CU22 (Wide, Fat)

So my question is, given the above information, which would be the better profile to go for on a 339... 50’s or 60’s?
I suspect the answer is 50's but does that extra 30 thou really make any difference to the feel of the 60's one?

Thanks
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Statistician:
Someone who can draw a mathematically precise line between an unwarranted assumption and a foregone conclusion.

#2 User is offline   dsl 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:55 PM

I would choose the 50's neck since you find the '61 too slim.

I've played a few 50's neck 339's & they were very comfortable.

Not at all like the "baseball bat" reissues - more like a '59 Profile.
Acoustic Music From Earth
Boux/Levin Experience

#3 User is offline   Tech21 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:01 AM

Thanks for the reply.
That was my worry that the '59 necks may be the old baseball bat type which I really don't like.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Statistician:
Someone who can draw a mathematically precise line between an unwarranted assumption and a foregone conclusion.

#4 User is offline   clayville 

• 356 is my number
  • LocationBoston

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:27 AM

The 60s Slim Taper neck on my CS-356 is smallish in the shoulders compared to many Gibsons but not overly thin (for me) or "flat" in the front-to-back girth -- to my hands, it's just a bit smaller than most '59 LP historics I've encountered, and perfect for me. It's not wide/flat either.

The ES-339 30/60 necks I've tried all seemed just a bit chunkier (fron to back) than my CS-356 (hence the ".3 over 60s" origin of the name) -- but they were not real "big" like, say, an R8 or R7.

Can't help you with the "50s" necks... they're all too big for me!

One caution though: as I understand it, neck profiles are one of the areas where there's a significant amount of hand-work in the shaping/sanding by the Gibson craftsmen... so there's variety even amongst those necks that are spec'd the same.

#5 User is offline   Murph 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:37 PM

I like my 30/60 a lot. I don't like the fat necks, but my Studio is very comfortable, not fat like the old ones. Best of luck.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users