Gibson Brands Forums

Broken neck

Flyer

I’m new here and have just seen a Les Paul Standard in a local music shop for the equivalent of about US$1600 BUT it had a transit caused cracked neck at the heel joint. This I am told was professionally repaired by a Gibson appointed luthier (the repair is very good – can’t see the crack without looking very closely)

Serial number 01604310 ( I know this makes it a 2004 model but due to the damage and subsequent repair problems has never actually been sold to a customer yet)

My questions are:

1. What does this repaired damage do to the long term value?

2. Does it affect the integrity of the sound? (sustain etc)

3. What does model number LP6+HSNH1 mean? (The “plus” sign could be a “T” - I can’t be sure as it is handwritten on the pre-pack checklist)

4. Is it worth it?

Any comments from you Gibson intellectuals would be greatly appreciated and as I am in South Africa a comment from “This one goes to 11” would also be very valuable.

Many thanks

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cracked necks and headstocks affect the value, but not the playability

sound and sustain is the same

plus means plus top (ie AA or AAA)

id offer him 14oo dollars and if he goes that low, then its worth it..............

if it play good and looks good , you know all the normal requirements

IN my opinion forget it. I wouldn't touch-it. It has a tremendous impact on the value, and everyone I have ever know stay's away from that kinda damage. save your money and before you know it another deal will soon come up and it will be a better one with-out any cracks or repairs.

I wouldnt buy any guitar that had a broken neck or headstock. I dont care who did the repairs.

If I already owned it and it got damaged thats one thing.

But, to purchase one knowing its hurting....down the road I think your looking at trouble.

Welcome.

Pretty much what everybody else said.

It'll be next to impossible for you to sell it if you ever have to...and if you do sell it, you'll get next to nothing in return. I can't speak for yourself, but if that were me...that broken neck would be the only thing I see every time I play it. If you're spending that much money on a guitar, it shouldn't be broken.

^_^ Hey, how come you guys didn't jump all over this guy about the serial number post...maybe the whole story is a lie and all he wanted some number information for his fake Les Paul line?? You see guys, you gotta think outside the box sometimes. These guys are getting smarter and smarter by the minute. O:)

While a good repair can bring back that sort of damage to playability, I would not buy one with a broken neck repair unless it was discounted to a point it that if you regrtteed it later, the amount you paid wouldn't make it that big of a deal.

I have seen some guitars that had neck breaks and the owner had the entire neck replaced, but that still devalues it greatly.

Take for instance the '60 LPC on Gruhn's site currently selling for $22.5k. It has a replaced neck. The neck it was replaced with is a correct style contemporary historic one. However, if it was the original neck that had not been damaged, that LPC would be priced closer to $80k, so you can see the impact on value.

Thanks a lot for your comments guys. It looks like I will give this one a miss! The price is high due to the duties etc that we in South Africa have to pay but your opinions are mostly about the guitar as an investment/resale which is really what I needed. This type of mutual co-operation is what makes a forum like this WORK!!

Thanks again.

Rod

Nothing wrong with a broken neck if it has been repaired properly' date=' glue is stronger than wood. I had this little set back happen to me about an hour ago...

[/quote']

Ouch, that hurts!

Go on, what happened?

Your helpful reply to this thread shows a great deal of philosphical fortitude and self-control.

One hour on and I would still be shouting at the wife, kicking the dog, swearing at the neighbours and generally pulling out my hair in tufts. I would NOT be reading these forums. Are you a Buddhist by any chance?

now that this thread has been going for a while and almost all of the regulars are here... has anyone here broken a neck or a guitar? i was shopping for a SG and a lot of reviews and opinions i heard/read talked about "you know how easyly sg necks broke" and stuff... then i got to the previous version of the forum and you guys told me "brick walls tend to break when you slam cars at them"...

so, what does this people do to their poor guitars that end up breaking them? i have owned cheap guitars and expensive ones, and prior to reading sg reviews never feared neck breakage.

AS90...

Is that broken guitar a real Gibson?

Yep' date=' its a 1974 SG Special =P~#-o

Its a project I have been working on, it was all coming together as well :( I was fitting new frets, I think the hammering loosened an old repair. Its all glued up now, Im sure it will be fine. Im on a steep learning curve...

http://everythingsg.com/forum/index.php?topic=16392.0

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/adamsmith90/19042008061.jpg[/img]

now that this thread has been going for a while and almost all of the regulars are here... has anyone here broken a neck or a guitar?

I am afraid to respond for fear of jinxing myself' date=' but thankfully no.

[i']*looks for wood to knock on*[/i]

Archived