Gibson Brands Forums

My first Gibson

artvandelay

hi,..my wife just bought me a mid 60,s B25 Gibson acoustic, and i want to install a pickup..im looking for something affordable (100$ range) and nice sounding.....i have no idea where to begin..any advise? id really appreciate it

proud new member

hi' date='..my wife just bought me a mid 60,s B25 Gibson acoustic, and i want to install a pickup..im looking for something affordable (100$ range) and nice sounding.....i have no idea where to begin..any advise? id really appreciate it

proud new member[/quote']

For an all-in-one under $100, you may want to look into something like this

hi' date='..my wife just bought me a mid 60,s B25 Gibson acoustic, and i want to install a pickup..im looking for something affordable (100$ range) and nice sounding.....i have no idea where to begin..any advise? id really appreciate it

proud new member[/quote']

I have a K&K Pure Western Mini that I got brand new on ebay for about $60. My local shop sells them for $85. I put it in a Guild about the same size as your B-25. Another forum member turned me on to it last year and it's a pretty nice pickup in your price range. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your Gibby!!

thanks for the replies everyone! im really loving this guitar..the neck is real thin and its just the right size for a skinny guy like myself...

so basically i want to run my gibson through my pedal board which has some basic reverb/delay effects and such for when i play live....will that k&k pure western mini do the trick, or would you recommend that i upgrade?..what is the pickup most gibson owners would prefer to install in a vintage acoustic..without drilling a bunch of holes of course..thanks for your feedback!

what do you guys think about a 'B Band A1 22R'? i heard good things about this one, but i cant find any reviews online

thanks TWilson for the advise!

and thanks everyone for welcoming me in!

I'll post some pics of the b25 sometime..my wife sure knows how to give the right birthday present..what a great gift

I've used both BBand and K&K. The K&K gives far suprior tone, and is much easier to EQ - just back the mids off a bit. Unless you play in VERY loud situations the K&K is wonderful. My experience with BBand is they sound OK, but the signal is really weak. Even though the K&K is passive, it has a stronger signal that he BBand with it's preamp!

Here's what a K&K on my Larrivee OM-05 Mahogany Top sounds like recorded direct:

http://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/berchtold2-10.m3u

That's pretty much exactly what my guitar sounds like. You can't go wrong with K&K. Use the glue - any competent luther can still remove them, in the rare case anyone should want to. =;

Oh, and K&K recommends the mini for all guitars now. It's been tweaked and the they've upped the output. I have mini's on four guitars now, including my J-100 XT. It's always fun to hear sound men comment on how, even plugged in, my dread sounds like a dread, my OM sounds like an OM, and the Gibby sound like a Gibby Jumbo! K&K really does let the tone of your guitar come through.

Hope this helps,

David

The K&K looks pretty straight forward using adhesive tape. I guess my question would be how involved of an installation you are comfortable doing?

Hey' date=' Dennis and Art, I didn't want to mess around with the one I bought so I took it to one of my favorite local acoustic shops (Fingerboard Extension) and Ted installed it for $20. Did it right, no muss no fuss![/size']

Hey' date=' Dennis and Art, I didn't want to mess around with the one I bought so I took it to one of my favorite local acoustic shops (Fingerboard Extension) and Ted installed it for $20. Did it right, no muss no fuss![/size']

Terrific! Sounds like a great solution at a reasonable price!

Archived