Gibson Brands Forums

1991 Gibson Sg Standard Candy Apple Red

Dex378

Small pickguard, side mount output jack, is it the last year of the '62 RI? I just traded a strat for it. It is near mint, plays amazing! (even though I don't). Any info would be great, i did confirm the serial number with Gibson customer service, they said 91 SG Standard, Candy Apple Red, Chrome hardwear but thats it.

100_2572.jpg

100_2581.jpg

100_2579.jpg

100_2580.jpg

100_2575.jpg

The control layout on your guitar was used in earlier models. Yours looks like it would be a Standard from 86' despite what

guitar dater or Gibson say. Check out EverythingSG.com and the reference links and you will see what I am talking bout.

I wonder what numbers are on the pots ? Maybe your guitar was lost for a few years at the factory.

My '61 SG reissue is approximately 1997. Best Gibson I've ever had. These older '61 reissues look better than the more recent ones, IMO. The woodgrain was more uniform, and a better color. Mine is a vicious blood/cherry red. The WIDE fingerboard virtually plays itself. The '57 Classic pu's are awesome, but I removed the neck pu cover, and the result: the neck pickup went from muddy and dull, to expressive and articulate. I realize this is SACRILEGE, but the difference is very discernable.

• 2 months later...

i have an identical sg standard in candy apple red 1990 albeit the pickup covers are in chrome.same spec small pickguard,sidejack input etc..guitar is in mint cond,beautiful ..would be interested to hear from any other owners..j from u.k.

My '61 SG reissue is approximately 1997. Best Gibson I've ever had. These older '61 reissues look better than the more recent ones' date=' IMO. The woodgrain was more uniform, and a better color. Mine is a vicious blood/cherry red. The WIDE fingerboard virtually plays itself. The '57 Classic pu's are awesome, but I removed the neck pu cover, and the result: the neck pickup went from muddy and dull, to expressive and articulate. I realize this is SACRILEGE, but the difference is very discernable. [/quote']

I dont know, my one from the end of 09 sems to have got it right again...

• 1 month later...

hi everybody !

I own one of this axe, mine is ebony finish, PU are originals PAT No 2,737,842

tuners are grovers but we can see traces ( and scew holes) of classical tulip tuners, I don't know if the next owner replace original ones ( so grovers),after changed it (he put some tulip models) ...

or if tulip models were the original ones and be replaced after by grovers and let it when he sold the guitar

anyway.

my SG is 1991 dated.

certainely one of the last of this serie.

and it's a f****ing good sounding guitar!!

• 4 years later...

I have the exact same year SG Standard. same color too. Best guitar I ever owned. Hands down.

Small pickguard, side mount output jack, is it the last year of the '62 RI? I just traded a strat for it. It is near mint, plays amazing! (even though I don't). Any info would be great, i did confirm the serial number with Gibson customer service, they said 91 SG Standard, Candy Apple Red, Chrome hardwear but thats it.

100_2572.jpg

100_2581.jpg

100_2579.jpg

100_2580.jpg

100_2575.jpg

I have the exact same year SG Standard. same color too. Best guitar I ever owned. Hands down.

The neck pickup position like on a Les Paul, close to the neck tenon, does a lot to the tone.

My 1978 S-G Standard has it, too. Other than earlier and later SGs, those made in the 1970's have a longer tenon and deeper neck set. The neck pickup's position remained unchanged, so the fretboard came closer to it. Bridge pickup, bridge - the long-travel version then - and tailpiece positions were moved towards the lower bout. All in all, they were shorter in overall length and thus less neck-heavy, too.

I wished they'd start making them again - including the tarback pickups designed by Bill Lawrence.

Archived