Gibson Brands Forums

Recomendations for a Mandolin?

LPDEN

I'm picking up on my mandolin playing again and have a cheapo right now that a friend gave to me a few years back. I am thinking Epiphone, but what about a used Gibson or other reputable brand? Any Mando players here with a suggestion?

My friend plays mandolin and has a 1919 Gibson A style. He was looking for something else a while back to supplement it. He had looked at the Epiphones and seemed pretty impressed with them. After his 1919, that is probably a pretty good recommendation, since he was probably comparing the Epiphone to the Gibson.

Yes, I liked the MM-50 Epi alot that I tried. Set up was almost perfect from what I could tell, while others not so much.

Heres the MM-50 which follows the F-5 Style of the Gibson that i really like alot.

275199.jpg

For comparison this is the Gibson F-5 which of course has a list price of nearly 22x the Epi... =P~

470142.jpg

Well the wood species and quality I am sure is the biggest difference. Then I think construction and parts are 2nd and 3rd.

For what I would use if for the Epi would be MORE than enough for my needs! =D>

Check out www.mandolincafe.com for lots of interesting info., also check out the classified ads on this site for used good examples. If you want Gibson, check out a used A-9 or F9. You can run into them used on the classified ad section, there might even be one on now. Weber is another nice example of US built mando.

As for the Epi Gibson mando comparison, it would be similar to comparing an Epiphone J200, AJ, Dove or Hummingbird to a Gibson J200, AJ, Dove or Hummingbird. Looks wise yes they are close, but tone is miles apart.

Do you mandolin players find the "A" style easier to play than the "F" style? I've been wanting to learn and a friend who plays told me to start off on an "A" style. He said the fretboard is a bit wider.

Interesting question. I honestly haven't notice that difference. I still haven't purchased one yet. I'll have to keep this in mind.

Archived