Gibson Brands Forums

Battery Leakage

guitarstrummer

I don't plug in very often, if at all. I've started removing the 9V batteries from any of my guitars that have them because I've been worried about the batteries leaking battery acid inside of the guitars. If there was any possibility of this ever happening, I'd just as soon avoid it before it did. I was just curious if this has actually ever happened to anyone? It seems like it could be a possibility and if it ever did, could really cause some damage.

The biggest problem I've found by removing them is being able to secure the battery connection wire so it doesn't just hang loose inside of the guitar. I've been just taping the connector to the battery clip. Anyone have a better idea?

Share your concern.

Have just changed the 9v on J45 (L R Baggs) after about 5 years ( I entirely forgot it as was using a soundhole pu)

I think you can mimise risk by using good quality 9V not "own brands" and by be much more disciplined than me in changing the battery evry 2/3 re-strings.

Changing the bl**dy thing with strings in situ ends up with shredded fingers anyway.

The cabling can be a problem, a dab of blue tac can help either that or it's "switch up the notch filter"

John

You know I keep forgetting to take mine out, but I do like the ability to plug the guitar into the strobe tuner, that is the only reason though. So I guess it would not tune (by cable connection) if the battery is not hooked up?

You know I keep forgetting to take mine out' date=' but I do like the ability to plug the guitar into the strobe tuner, that is the only reason though. So I guess it would not tune (by cable connection) if the battery is not hooked up?[/quote']

Yeah I think you are right..... that explains why my playing's been cr*p for the last 5 years.... off to try tuning!

LMAO!

Like a plastiscine. Mind you it might help you if I spelt it correctly

Blu Tack

A picture paints a thousand words so follow the link

http://www.blutack.com/BLU_TACK.htm

Think its the Uk alternative to Duck Tape LOL

Thanks for the information on Blu Tack. I don't think I've ever seen it in the stores. I'll have to look for it.

Blu Tac or it's copies is used for hanging posters. It's a bit like playdough or silly putty. you break off a piece, knead it a bit then stick it to the corners of a poster and stick it to the wall. It's not supposed to spoil the wall or poster, but I've had a poster become grease spotted by it. Probably won't be an issue holding a 9V batt plug, just don't stick it to the underside of wooden parts. Wood will soak up any moisture / oils and leave a stain.

Blue Tac is a registered trade mark and is, well.... blue. I've gotten another brand colored yellow. Usually found in the office supply section of a department store next to the thumb tacks and such. Quite possibly, also, in the hardware section, near wallk hooks and things.

I collect old Kodak cameras, which are in and of themselves not expensive, but interesting none-the-less. Cameras made since the 60's almost invariably use some type of battery. Most were put a way decades ago when a newer, glitzier model came out and were left to rot in the back of some dark closet. These batteries are always leaking. Any battery WILL LEAK in time. Some sooner than later. Store brand / no name brand / obviously manufactured in China batteries are the worst. Ever-ready and Ray-o-vacs not far behind. Usually, they leak after they're dead, but I've had a few 'name brand' leak while still puting out good voltage.

EXCEPT

Duracell. I've never pulled a leaking Duracell from a decades old Kodak. I even pulled a AA Duracell from an old Polaroid that was so old it was labeled as a "Mallory". It probably was from the 1960's. You could see just a 'hint' of green near the edge of the battery top (+), under the plastic washer like object. But, green corrosion had not contaminated the camera. Heck, that 30 odd to 40 year old Mallory still had full charge in it! If you have an electronic device that goes through batteries like candy, get the cheapest Heavy Duty they have. If there's a chance of puting the device up for a few weeks.... to whenever and you, like me forget to remove batteries some times... okay most times, get the Duracells. It's cheap insurance against ruining an expensive electronic device.

Has anyone tried the little cable holders that you can get for running phone cords along the wall? They have an adhesive tape on the back that sticks to the wall and the harness snaps open and closed to hold the phone line. I would think using that you would be able to use a battery when needed by just unsnapping the harness and snap it back in when not needed.

You should be able to find them at a Radio Shack or Home Depot.

Wrt your original question, Mike, I've never experienced a battery that leaked acid or nasty fluid yet. And I've been using UST-equipped acoustic guitars for about 15 years now.

The more annoying thing is taking a guitar that you may not have played plugged-in for a while to the gig, and then finding once you plug in, that the battery is shot, AND, you forgot to pack an extra, fresh battery "for just such an emergency". Grrrr - I hate that!

Fred

Has anyone tried the little cable holders that you can get for running phone cords along the wall? They have an adhesive tape on the back that sticks to the wall and the harness snaps open and closed to hold the phone line. I would think using that you would be able to use a battery when needed by just unsnapping the harness and snap it back in when not needed.

You should be able to find them at a Radio Shack or Home Depot.

Good idea, Jack.

Wrt your original question' date=' Mike, I've never experienced a battery that leaked acid or nasty fluid yet. And I've been using UST-equipped acoustic guitars for about 15 years now.

The more annoying thing is taking a guitar that you may not have played plugged-in for a while to the gig, and then finding once you plug in, that the battery is shot, AND, you forgot to pack an extra, fresh battery "for just such an emergency". Grrrr - I hate that!

Fred

[/quote']

I understand that. I plug in extremely rarely, so to me it seems like a battery sitting inside a guitar that I won't need is just asking for trouble. With my luck, by the time I'd notice a problem, it would be too late.

You know I keep forgetting to take mine out' date=' but I do like the ability to plug the guitar into the strobe tuner, that is the only reason though. So I guess it would not tune (by cable connection) if the battery is not hooked up?[/quote']

If all you want to do is tune with it, I got a suggestion. I was frustrated trying to tune

up with others trying to do the same thing in the same room. My tuner wouldn't focus

on me but every nit-wit in the room trying to find "G". I got one of those suction cup

pick-ups for plugging into a tuner. The cup just sticks to the soundboard... where ever

and only 'hears' my guitar. If I had to do it all over again (great song), I'd get one of

those clamp on tuners that clamp to the headstock. It, as I understand, uses vibrations

coming through the headstock. But, I had the tuner bought and I'm cheap.

If I had to do it all over again (great song)' date=' I'd get one of

those clamp on tuners that clamp to the headstock. It, as I understand, uses vibrations

coming through the headstock. But, I had the tuner bought and I'm cheap.[/quote']

I have an Intelli IMT-500 and an Intellitouch tuner. They both work through vibrations and both work well. They work better if you don't use a pick while tuning, though.

I have an Intelli IMT-500 and an Intellitouch tuner. They both work through vibrations and both work well. They work better if you don't use a pick while tuning' date=' though.[/quote']

I also use the intellitouch tuner. It works great even in loud environments and only "hears your guitar". You are very right about not using a pick when tuning your guitar with an intellitouch. Occasionally I will need to take it off and re-clamp it for it to pick up propperly.

UPDATE: I stopped in at my local dealer's yesterday and picked up some of the cable anchors that are normally used to hold the wires in place. They had several types. I ended up going with one that looks like an aluminum "T" shape with sticky tape on the top of the "T". You put it in place, then bend the long part of the "T" to hold your wires. Seems to work well. I picked this type over the others because you can bend it around the actual cable connector and not just the wires. The other types are made to hold only the wires.

Battery leakage would be very uncommon, in my experience. As other people have mentioned, it probably doesn't hurt to make sure you are using name brand batteries.

Back in the day, I remember being advised to remove the 9V from the guitar when the pickup wasn't going to be used for a long time, but I found all that was needed to prevent problems was to make sure the cable was unplugged to break the circuit.

I recently learned that there is a new active acoustic pickup that runs on phantom power if you want to be rid of the 9V issue all together. Schatten makes a pickup that is still 1/4" out from the guitar but to an XLR male that goes into a preamp or board to give you access to the phantom power. What I like about that design is the fact that phantom is so stable - a 9V battery can really suck the life out of your signal when the battery starts to fail and the voltage is actually somewhere in the 7.x range.

The way I have been amplifying most of my guitars lately is with two pencil condenser mics - Audio Technica 2021s. This really gets me the sound of the guitar rather than a reasonable facsimile.

I have an Intelli IMT-500 and an Intellitouch tuner. They both work through vibrations and both work well. They work better if you don't use a pick while tuning' date=' though.[/quote']

I have intellitouch and it works great. Maybe a bit pricey @ $50, but it is up to the task it sets out to do.

I have intellitouch and it works great. Maybe a bit pricey @ $50' date=' but it is up to the task it sets out to do.[/quote']

I can't remember for sure, but I was thinking that was also about how much the Intelli IMT-500 tuner was too. They're still worth every penny, if they work and they beat a tuning fork. O:)

Archived