Gibson Brands Forums

Dyeing Bone Pins

LesLawrence

The bone pins I purchased to replace my plastic ones are stark white. I would like a nice creamy aged look. What's the secret recipe? I was thinking maybe soaking them in coffee. Is this off the wall?

Les

Yes, that's completly off the wall and and one of the first signs of senility. Everyone knows you soak them in tea! lol

=D>

The bone pins I purchased to replace my plastic ones are stark white. I would like a nice creamy aged look. What's the secret recipe? I was thinking maybe soaking them in coffee. Is this off the wall?

Les

Yes' date=' that's completely off the wall and one of the first signs of senility! Everyone knows you soak them in tea!lol[/size']

Anyone know how porous bone pins are? We used to use tea to antique linens and it works quite well. But, the item has to be porous enough to absorb it, otherwise it just sits on the top and will rub off with even the lightest abrasion. That's why you'll see old tea-stained bone china (which obviously is finished with a varnish of some sort) that comes clean easily with SoftScrub or the like. If the pins are porous enough to absorb the tea, it might work. There was a long thread about this on The Other Forum awhile back.

Anyone know how porous bone pins are? We used to use tea to antique linens and it works quite well. But' date=' the item has to be porous enough to absorb it, otherwise it just sits on the top and will rub off with even the lightest abrasion. That's why you'll see old tea-stained bone china (which obviously is finished with a varnish of some sort) that comes clean easily with SoftScrub or the like. If the pins are porous enough to absorb the tea, it might work. There was a long thread about this on The Other Forum awhile back.[/quote']

I've been told that tea is what Bob Colosi uses to dye his "vintage pins". All materials are porous. It's just the degree that varies. I don't see any one using Softscrub on their pins. I've had some Bob C. vintage pins for over a year now, and they're still doing fine (knock on wood).

I've been told that tea is what Bob Colosi uses to dye his "vintage pins". All materials are porous. It's just the degree that varies. I don't see any one using Softscrub on their pins. I've had some Bob C. vintage pins for over a year now' date=' and they're still doing fine (knock on wood).[/quote']

But does he dye them and THEN apply a varnish/finishing compound of some sort? That's what I meant. I know no one would take SoftScrub to their bone pins, but my point was if the dye is just sitting on the top and didn't penetrate the pin, it would eventually just rub off.

But does he dye them and THEN apply a varnish/finishing compound of some sort? That's what I meant. I know no one would take SoftScrub to their bone pins' date=' but my point was if the dye is just sitting on the top and didn't penetrate the pin, it would eventually just rub off.[/quote']

Doesn't seem to be any finish over the top. Also, not to be gross or anything, but it would be the same thing as not brushing your teeth. People who drink tea and coffee get stains on their teeth, even with regular brushing. Most of it's not removed until you go to the dentist and get them professionally cleaned with abrasives.

Doesn't seem to be any finish over the top. Also' date=' not to be gross or anything, but it would be the same thing as not brushing your teeth. People who drink tea and coffee get stains on their teeth, even with regular brushing. Most of it's not removed until you go to the dentist and get them professionally cleaned with abrasives. [/quote']

Yes, the color of my teeth was exactly what I am looking for. Or at least before I got them ZOOM whitened. ;-)

Les

Yes' date=' that's completely off the wall and one of the first signs of senility! [/size']

Thanks for pointing that out.

=D>

I drink the coffee to keep those brain neurons firing. So the remaining question is whether to use decaf or regular.O:)

Les

One other thought, FWIW, I don't think I'd ever buy "vintage" or dyed pins again. Not because they don't look good, but in all honesty, after you put the pin in the hole, there's not much left showing. Especially if you get any inlays, which I did. I suppose if you didn't have inlays, there would be more to see, but with the inlays, there's not much left to see.

I darkened the bone pins on my D-50 with tea, I did it twice, the first just a short while in the tea, the second time a couple of minutes, it was med-strong tea, put the pins in a strainer so you can check on their progress, as they darken they do so slightly unevenly which I like, (any scratches you have on the pins could get darker) anyway it reduces the golf ball effect of bright white bone.

pin2.jpg

I darkened the bone pins on my D-50 with tea' date=' I did it twice, the first just a short while in the tea, the second time a couple of minutes, it was med-strong tea, put the pins in a strainer so you can check on their progress, as they darken they do so slightly unevenly which I like, (any scratches you have on the pins could get darker) anyway it reduces the golf ball effect of bright white bone.

[img']http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm2/news36/pin2.jpg[/img]

Now you should do the saddle so it matches. :D/

I think I like the contrast of the white bridge for now' date=' but I can always steep it if I like.[/quote']

True. I thought the reason you didn't like the original pins was because of their "stark white color"? The saddle is also "stark white". It doesn't look bad, but like you said, there is a contrast. Glad the pin experiment worked out.

Archived