Gibson Brands Forums

Diagram of 50's vs 60's neck profile

Tech21

For anyone who is interested and has not seen this before, here is a diagram of the difference between a 50's profile and a 60's profile neck.

Not a lot of difference to look at but a huge difference in feel and playability.

It's a lot subtler than I was anticipating going off the feel of each neck, quite surprising really; well it was to me anyway.

7a86ccf1.jpg

Cheers

T21

The 60's profile is my favourite and seems to be what the current line of Epiphone archtops use. At least the ones I tried and the one I own have that feel.

Strange how such a small difference in size can make a huge difference to the feel isn't it because the 60's profile is on my '61 re-issue SG and I absolutely hate it. Whereas my Epiphone 335 is fine. it feels like my PRS with a wide/fat neck.

Cheers

T21

• 1 year later...

Strange how such a small difference in size can make a huge difference to the feel isn't it because the 60's profile is on my '61 re-issue SG and I absolutely hate it. Whereas my Epiphone 335 is fine. it feels like my PRS with a wide/fat neck.

Cheers

T21

How different would the 50's & 60's neck style from the C shape of the Epiphone Les Paul?

Here's some info collected from various sources (some from MLP) -

A comparison based on some measurements - . . . . . . . (Of course everything varies a bit with Gibbies)

Neck Thickness - (avg, meaurements taken at nut end of 1st fret)

R8 - - - - - - - - - - .925"

R7 - - - - - - - - - - .920"

R9 - - - - - - - - - - .910"

50s Early - - - - - .900" (from Gibson C/S)

50s Rounded - - .870" (from my 2008 SG)

50s Rounded - - .818" (from Gibson C/S)

Asymmetrical - - N/A

30/60 - - - - - - -- .800"

60s Slim taper - .765"

- 30/60 is .030 of an inch thicker from front to back then the 60s slim, all the way up the neck.

50s Early 1st fret - - -- .900” 12th fret – 1.00”

50s Rounded 1st fret - .818” 12th fret - .963”

Asymmetrical -

id-519321_3.jpg

The asymmetrical neck's center line is moved .005" toward the bass side. The back is tapered toward the high strings, more closely matching the natural curve of your hand making it easier to reach the fretboard. The neck is thicker toward the bass strings resulting in the asymmetrical shape

Some good info here thanks for posting this. I tried a 50's rounded neck on a 68 LP Custom then tried the same guitar with 60's slim taper. There is such a huge difference between the two profiles. After seeing that comparison showing the two together you would not think it's even possible . My first thought was there must be a mistake. That 50's neck is fat. I went with the 60's by the way. If you have large hands then the 50's might be a better choice.

This is very interesting and I've been looking for a comparison like this for a while.

So if I see the differences, it looks like my 1970 Les Paul Custom is closer to the 50th

style shape. I do own an ES-137 which is close to that as well.

Anybody out there who owns a mid to end 70th LP Custom (with maple neck). How would you

describe the neck profile - more like the 50th or 60th shape (compared to the graphic)?

This is one of the next guitars I want to buy....

I never heard of a 'C shaped' neck of an Epi Les Paul

Most of them are 'D-shaped 60s slim taper' type neck profiles

I bought my LP-STD in the early 90s. Nice guitar but had the slim 60s neck. The next year the store I worked at got another one. Was supposed to be the same guitar but a) more cherry sunburst (mine was tobacco I think) and B) a much thicker neck.

I dont know how they have changed since then

This is very interesting and I've been looking for a comparison like this for a while.

So if I see the differences, it looks like my 1970 Les Paul Custom is closer to the 50th

style shape. I do own an ES-137 which is close to that as well.

Anybody out there who owns a mid to end 70th LP Custom (with maple neck). How would you

describe the neck profile - more like the 50th or 60th shape (compared to the graphic)?

This is one of the next guitars I want to buy....

I have had 4 of the late 70's Les Paul Customs with maple necks in the last few years and love them except for the weight. One weighed 13lbs on my digital scale. I no longer own any but 3 out of the 4 that I owned had a 60's profile and one had a 50's baseball bat neck. Just like the ones that come out of Gibson Custom Shop now, each guitar varies. I love those old Customs especially the ones with a maple fretboard.

• 11 months later...

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but we're talking about profiles and I did a search to find the picture the OP put up.

I have huge hands, but even though I feel the difference between something chunky like my Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, opposed to the thinner feel of my Epiphone Wildkat, neither bothers me as such. Yes, I'd prefer the bigger profile, but as a hobby player who only plays at home, I don't have to tolerate any discomfort while I persevere at a gig like some of you. The fact is, I don't find I play one any better or any worse than the other.

Later today I'm stopping at GC to grab some Black Friday deals on strings and a little Fender Greta amp. They have a used Gibson LP Studio in homeyburst with a 60s neck and the smaller profile isn't going to keep me from liking it if it's in good shape. God knows, the $559 price is right.

Archived