Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson serial number - how to check what year?

rossnuk

Hey, there is a Gibson Hummingbird down at my local shop second hand.

It is the natural top version and is believed to be from the 90's.

The serial number is 91760009

anyone who could tell me the year from this - it would be helpful

Thanks

Ross

Not sure if it holds true for your guitar, but first and fifth number indicate year: '90. 2,3 and 4th numbers indicate which day of the year your guitar was constructed: 176th. Last two numbers indicate your guitar was the ninth constructed that particular day.

Just learned this myself, so anyone feel free to correct. I have heard that this equation does not hold true for earlier Gibson models.

The guitar in question was made in 1990. (this is good---in those days, there were just a few guys making the guitars, alongside and under the direction of Ren Ferguson---some of those early Montana guitars are killer sounding today)

9=the decade of the 90s

176=the 176th day of the year

0=1990 (1 would indicate 1991, for example, 2 would indicate 1992, etc)

009=it was the 9th guitar finished that day

Dennis - cheers but look at the serial number again - the 4th number along is a 6 - so wouldnt this make it 1996?

Ross

The serial number is 91760009

Assuming only the 4th number was a typo and the serial number is REALLY 91766009, then yes...it would be a 1996.

Modac's break down of the serial number is correct, the guitar is a 1990 Hummingbird with once exeption. The 009 is for the 9th guitar stamped that day. The numbers are stamped on the headstocks before the neck are attached to the body so since it is stamped on the 176th day it may not actually be finished on that day.

The Julian date Gibson Uses is a three digit number representing 365 days in a year so the 176 would indicate the 176th day of the year...appoxamately, June 25th.

Just remember that if the year in question is a leap year and the guitar is made after the end of February, to move a day back. For example, my Songwriter's serial number is

So that is 2008 154th day, ninth guitar stamped.

Because 2008 was a leap year, the day is June 2 not June 3.

Archived