Gibson Brands Forums

New Hummingbird Pickguard

PickitPaul

The yellow flowers & white outlines are not the same color on the newer under the finish plastic guards. I compared the older (2005) to the ones out now. White is more like a silver, and the yellow is now like a mustard brownish yellow.

Also, if you look closely the pick guard itself is pixel dot matrix computer generated material. While the new guard was a good idea to get the paint below the plastic, the colors are way off from the original. Come on Gibson, can't we do a better job on the colors for the focal point on a multi thousand dollar instrument? =D>

The yellow flowers & white outlines are not the same color on the newer under the finish plastic guards. I compared the older (2005) to the ones out now. White is more like a silver' date=' and the yellow is now like a mustard brownish yellow.

Also, if you look closely the pick guard itself is pixel dot matrix computer generated material. While the new guard was a good idea to get the paint below the plastic, the colors are way off from the original. Come on Gibson, can't we do a better job on the colors for the focal point on a multi thousand dollar instrument? :-s [/quote']

I've thought about your post for some time now and really was questioning how to respond. Unless the colors are totally off and are distracting, I think you're making something out of nothing. Would you rather have the exact same colors on the top, which may come off in time? Or would you rather have the colors slightly off, but embedded in the pickguard so they won't rub off?

It seems to me like Gibson has at least tried to get it right. I'm sure the colors on the pickguards haven't been exactly the same since the Hummingbird was first introduced. Who's to say what the "official" colors should be? Maybe Gibson has now decided to officially change the pickguard colors. It's their product and I would think it's their right to alter the colors if they'd like.

You never mentioned in your post if this was a pickguard that you had replaced or if you were just comparing the new ones to the ones from 2005. Either way, the new ones seem to be their official Hummingbird pickguard now and that's all that really matters. I'm sure the shades of sunburst finish on some models have probably also changed through the years. I just don't see what the big deal is.

Come on Gibson' date=' can't we do a better job on the colors for the focal point on a multi thousand dollar instrument? :-s [/quote']

I agree with Mike, you're making much ado about nothing. If Gibson indeed did change what you referenced, what's the big deal? Models in both the electric and acoustic lines have had variations to their details changed in different eras, it doesn't make them any less authentic as Gibsons....

Well I do commend gibson for comming out with a guard that graphics won't wear off; but why not leave white white & yellow yellow? There is a difference & noticeable. If some of you don't care what color the white and yellow is, so be it. I'm just saying that more attention to detail (colors) would have been nice with the new pick guard.

Well I do commend gibson for comming out with a guard that graphics won't wear off; but why not leave white white & yellow yellow? There is a difference & noticeable. If some of you don't care what color the white and yellow is' date=' so be it. I'm just saying that more attention to detail (colors) would have been nice with the new pick guard.[/quote']

Maybe Gibson found out through product research that most people liked the new colors better and that's why they changed them. It still goes back to the basic concept that Gibson has the right to make any changes they want. After all, the Hummingbird artist model doesn't have any paint on the pickguard and people still buy them.

Archived