Gibson Brands Forums

help

musiciankid_012

Just got my first guitar but I'm having trouble finding a chord chart.

Got a gibson Maestro acoustic I like it. just wanting to learn some chords before I start lessons music is nothing new to me I've played drums for 3 years have a peace kit w/ sabian Xs20 cymbal set and have a yamaha U-3 piano so if you could give me any tips pointers or just good to know knowledge it would be nice

... so if you could give me any tips pointers or just good to know knowledge it would be nice

Try to dedicate one-hour every day and practice each step. Developing hand strength and muscle memory in your fretting hand may take time and it will get sore. Be sure not to strain your hand, but keep at it and try not to get discouraged when you feel you hit a wall. We all hit walls at different times, just keep practicing.

The links above from the others should help you out...

Best of luck...

Just got my first guitar but I'm having trouble finding a chord chart.

Got a gibson Maestro acoustic I like it. just wanting to learn some chords before I start lessons music is nothing new to me I've played drums for 3 years have a peace kit w/ sabian Xs20 cymbal set and have a yamaha U-3 piano so if you could give me any tips pointers or just good to know knowledge it would be nice

A drummer? Picking up guitar? Welcome the the "Light Side" of the force.! =;/

WalMert sometimes has chord posters for hanging on the wall. Their offerings are rotated regularly, so if you don't see one there this week, try a couple weeks later. One they have is a bonafide chord chart, labeled quite appropriately, "Guitar Chords" Another they have had is a guitar scales chart labeled, welll, "Guitar Scales". I have both, but don't use the scales one as much. But, they both look cool in my music room.

"My Music Room" :D/ My wife and I are recent 'empty nesters'. She has plans for all the now un occupied rooms of the house. Plans she made without my input. I've been hinting I'd like at least one room for my music stuff. Last week she called it 'Your music room." I am giddy with anticipation as to how to set it up. :D/ :D/

MK-- suggest you start by you learn these five shapes: C, A, G, E & D. Once you get those down, you can alter them (major, minor 7th etc) as needed.

Better, these are moveable shapes (a C up 2 frets is a D, a D up 2 is and E etc) so knowing them can be a first step to unlocking the fretboard.

Here's two web links on CAGED and a lesson (Erie Hawkins is a good teacher),

http://www.tonydesmarteau.com/caged.htmhttp://www.free-guitar-chords.com/basic-beginner-caged-guitar-chords.htm

http://www.amazon.com/G-E-D-Guitar-System-Made-Easy/dp/B000LXH0TK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1208788042&sr=1-6

You can get chord charts, books etc. at most music stores. I've purchased quite a few over the past 40 years and I'm not even sure where they are! When I decided I wanted to replace Paul Stooky or Peter Yarrow when I was 15 or 16 I bought an easy book with Peter Paul and Mary songs in it with the chord diagrams above the lyrics. This way you can learn chords and actually play (very slowly at first) songs. Get a book of songs you know and you will be better able to hear the chord changes. After a while you'll be able to apply the chords you learn to other songs, you'll just "hear" them as you're strumming along. I went on Musicians Friend yesterday just to buy some picks(like Mikes) and ended up getting this. I like the fact that it has a metronome AND a tuner. It also has 7000 chords. Now I can learn 6970 new ones! lol Like John Prine said, " I learned three chords and liked them so well, I just stuck with them." Good luck!!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-ChordmasterTunerMetronome?sku=210081

Developing hand strength and muscle memory in your fretting hand may take time and it will get sore. Be sure not to strain your hand' date=' but keep at it and try not to get discouraged when you feel you hit a wall.

Best of luck...[/quote']

He He He>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

and then when you can hit a barre at the tenth fret and have the grip of an iron man>>>>>>>>>>>>

Take up the blinking 12 string and start the suffering all over again.

But hey musiciankid_012 its worth it and welcome to the forum!

BR

John

when I was 15 or 16 I bought an easy book with Peter Paul and Mary songs in it with the chord diagrams above the lyrics.

TW>>>>Just to get you back for the limey quip.......

Did you get a deal as substantially reduced aged' date=' obselete stock?

and did it have had these songs

EARLY IN THE MORNING

500 MILES

SORROW

THIS TRAIN

BAMBOO

IT'S RAINING

IF I HAD MY WAY

CRUEL WAR

LEMON TREE

IF I HAD A HAMMER

AUTUMN TO MAY

WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE

BR

John

[img']http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_emoticons/default/eusa_naughty.gif[/img]

TWilson wrote:

when I was 15 or 16 I bought an easy book with Peter Paul and Mary songs in it with the chord diagrams above the lyrics.

and did it have had these songs [/quote']

Ouch! Gomer Pyle (Jim Neighbors) taught me Peter, Paul, & Mary's version of Bob Dylan's, Blowin' in the Wind.

EARLY IN THE MORNING

500 MILES

SORROW

THIS TRAIN

BAMBOO

IT'S RAINING

IF I HAD MY WAY

CRUEL WAR

LEMON TREE

IF I HAD A HAMMER

AUTUMN TO MAY

BR

John

[-X [/quote']

I think I still have that book.

EDIT: The book I have is called "Album 1700". It must really be old because there's no date on the inside. It must be from the era before they stated putting publishing dates in them. Guess that makes me really old!!

I certainly have along with The first Tom Paxton!

I'm the Man That Built the Bridges

I'm Bound for the Mountains and the Sea

The Fatal Glass

Every Time Willie Seton -

My Dog's Bigger Than Your Dog

Columbus, GA.

Mary Ann

The Marvelous Toy

When the Morning Breaks

Goin' To The Zoo

Deep Fork River Blues

They'll come back in vogue...you mark mywords they'll be collectors pieces LMAO!

EARLY IN THE MORNING

500 MILES

SORROW

THIS TRAIN

BAMBOO

IT'S RAINING

IF I HAD MY WAY

CRUEL WAR

LEMON TREE

IF I HAD A HAMMER

AUTUMN TO MAY

BR

John

:( [/quote']

Har de har!! As a matter of fact, mate, I got it brand-spanking-new in 1963 and I stll have the rascal. lol I can give you a good deal on it, but it sounds like you may have the same one. I do have several others PP&M books that I bought in the 70's. And Bob's your uncle!

EARLY IN THE MORNING

500 MILES

SORROW

THIS TRAIN

BAMBOO

IT'S RAINING

IF I HAD MY WAY

CRUEL WAR

LEMON TREE

IF I HAD A HAMMER

AUTUMN TO MAY

BR

John

:( [/quote']

!!!!! That was my very first album!!!!!! I loved that album. It was the three of them sitting in front of a brick wall. Bamboo was my favourite song.

The oldest guitar book I have is from 1965, 4400 Chords, with songs arranged by Roy Smeck! And, I have a 1971 Jim Croce songbook.... that's probably my second oldest one.

I think I still have that book.

EDIT: The book I have is called "Album 1700". It must really be old because there's no date on the inside. It must be from the era before they stated putting publishing dates in them. Guess that makes me really old!!

I have that one too' date=' Mike, and the record. (Vinyl for you young 'uns.) Also, I misspoke on the PP&M book. I have the album, but my first song book shows them sitting on a park bench holding red balloons floating above their heads on strings. Here's the lineup: All my Trials, Big Boat, Hush-A-Bye, Polly Von, Quit Your Low Down Ways, Rocky Road, Tell It On The Mountain, Very Last Day. It's from MCMLXIV ! I have another, larger one, called "Peter Paul and Mary - A Collection." The fun part is how cheap they were. I have the Joan Baez Songbook from 1965 also.[/size']

Archived