Gibson Brands Forums

Lookin' to buy another Gibson

misterj45

I've seen those orange paper labels affixed just about anywhere inside of the guitar, so it's not unusual. C'mon people, I don't want this one to get away from me if people who know more than I (not hard to do) think it's a good deal. Thanks!!!!

John

I have seen them on electric hollow-body guitars with f-holes and you can see the label thru the F-Hole.

I have never seen one on an acoustic in that placement. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I would bid on the side of caution. Nobody want to buy a fake.

My concern with this listing is how dry and thirsty the bridge and fingerboard look. The guitar is roughly 12 years old and the interior of the case suggests, to me, that this one did a lot of time in the closet. The dust on the handle side of the case tells that story along with the dirt around the fret edges on the fingerboard.

I would request photos looking down the neck to sight the saddle in relation to the nut and a photo aimed at the 12th fret from a player's view. The same angle on a bridge photo should show you if there is any bubble on the top.

Dry storage guitars often have problems. The guitar looks relatively un-played but is posted in 9/10 condition? Ratings are subjective, but why 9 and not a suggestion of 9.5?

If the top has come up at all or if the action at the 12th fret is pretty high, I would save my $1200.

Don't forget to ask for serial number and check it out too!

Always a tad suspiscious when serial number not listed!

And Ballcorner's right that guitar does look thirsty! Could have done with a wipe before photos!

Good luck with whatever you decide

Br

John

I've never seen an interior label placed in that direction before. All the ones I've seen have been horizontal. Did they install them that way in 1995?

My '95 SJ-45 Deluxe has the label placed the same way. What strikes me odd is, since it's a lefty, the label is upside-down.

Archived