Gibson Brands Forums

Angus Young Signature SG wiring ?

tt

Hi,

I have a question . Can you help me find out the exact wiring of Angus Young Signature SG ? Is it something special or just one of the ´modern´ or ´50-s´ i.e 1959 LP wirings? Which value and type components (tone caps, "treble bleed" caps/resistors if applicable, potentiometers - 300/500k linear/log , etc) ?

The reason to ask is that this thing ( a fried has got one) sounds damn good and will never get muddy (treble loss) while rolling down the volume...

Thanks in advance for any comments

Telbert Twang

Man it's just standard SG Standard wiring.........you get any Gibson Sg Standard you can get Angus spec.........now after that heck no cause

you ai'nt Angus and don't play like him.....and he has like 163 SG's of all different years......that he rotates around............ now take a number .......the line starts round that a way !

Oh welcome to the forum..........stay a while might learn a bit...........or not .........whatever

Thanks for answer,

however, it is unfortunately not very useful for me. What I wanted (and still do) to know, was the exact wiring specs of Angus Signature SG , a very specific guitar model - no need to know the specs of all his 163. I never mentioned wanting to sound like Angus – an hard-to-copy authentic original (actually , I hardly even listen to AC/DC regulary), I just liked the tonal spectrum potential of that paricular guitar very much – it had great tone with no treble loss while vol down-rolling .

telbert

Man it's just standard SG Standard wiring.........you get any Gibson Sg Standard you can get Angus spec.........now after that heck no cause

you ai'nt Angus and don't play like him.....and he has like 163 SG's of all different years......that he rotates around............ now take a number .......the line starts round that a way !

Oh welcome to the forum..........stay a while might learn a bit...........or not .........whatever

Cant give you a goo answer on wiring specs, at gibson.com there are some info on what electronic they use. What i can say i think all Gibson are great vol-down-rolling. Had a schecter, when i used the volume pot it became just boring. Whit my Gibson's i often find a good rhythm sound with volume and treble halfway.

The pots will be 500K audio taper (as they were in the 1960s). According to the Gibson site, the tone controls are bypassed - as they were on Angus' original SG.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/Angus-Young-SG-Standard.aspx

This produces a brighter sound, because when a volume pot is coupled to a tone pot (as in a regular guitar) there is a slight loss of higher frequencies. Even with the tone control set to 10, some high end is lost. There are also other electrical effects that take place whenever you couple pots together.

Put simply, when the the tone pot is bypassed, the pickup output is louder and brighter.

• 1 year later...

Whoa... Makes perfect sense. Now I have to add a bypass switch to my guitar. I should probably learn to understand the normal wiring first though. :-)

If you don't want to drill holes you can use push pull pots for the pot bypass. Also, Fender uses a tone pot with a detent that bypasses the control. I forget what they call it, but I've got one on my 2000 MIA Tele Std.

• 2 years later...

The pots will be 500K audio taper (as they were in the 1960s). According to the Gibson site, the tone controls are bypassed - as they were on Angus' original SG.

http://www2.gibson.c...G-Standard.aspx

This produces a brighter sound, because when a volume pot is coupled to a tone pot (as in a regular guitar) there is a slight loss of higher frequencies. Even with the tone control set to 10, some high end is lost. There are also other electrical effects that take place whenever you couple pots together.

Put simply, when the the tone pot is bypassed, the pickup output is louder and brighter.

How do u bypass the tone pot?

Archived