Gibson Brands Forums

Looking to Buy A Gibson, Very Confused

Hey. I'm looking to buy a Gibson acoustic but I'm pretty confused. I'm trying to decide between a Songwriter Deluxe and a J45 Rosewood. I would be dead set on the Songwriter but I want one without the electronics on the side. Everyone I've ever played has had the electronics on the side. But, according to musiciansfriend, they have LR Baggs pickup with the in hole volume. So I thought maybe only newer models had the LR Baggs (and no side EQ). But, I saw on this board that someone posted a picture of an 08 model that had the EQ on the side still. Then, I went to look at sweetwater, and the guitar they have does not have the side EQ (guitar can be viewed here: http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/acoustic/all/s00648064/). So I'm confused. Why do some have them and some don't? Do you think if I ordered one from musiciansfriend and it came with the fishman, I could send it back since their site says it comes with the LR baggs? Thanks for your help.

Hey. I'm looking to buy a Gibson acoustic but I'm pretty confused. I'm trying to decide between a Songwriter Deluxe and a J45 Rosewood. I would be dead set on the Songwriter but I want one without the electronics on the side.

First of all welcome!

You're confusing me too! LOL. My 2006 12 string has no electrics on the side just a volume control which is soundhole mounted. To add to what is now OUR confusion I have never seen a SWD with side EQ.

Gibson ought to know see>>>>

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Acoustic/Modern%20Classics/Square%20Shoulder%20Dreadnought/Songwriter%20Deluxe

Interesting choice you have' date=' I know these things are subjective but I'd plum for the J45.

As for

Do you think if I ordered one from musiciansfriend and it came with the fishman' date=' I could send it back since their site says it comes with the LR baggs? [/quote']

Blooming right you can but make sure you specify LRB in the special conditions on the order.

BTW someone told me that Gibson had stopped producing the SWD with rosewood although it still says rosewood on their site Might be worth checking that.

Let us know how you get on?

Well. Here is the pic I found on this board: http://i28.tinypic.com/15czrsi.jpg The persoan said it was an 08 and you can see the electronics on the side. Everyone I've ever played in guitar centers is like that and I've been to three or four maybe. I had no idea you could find them without. The reason I want one without that is cause I have an LR Baggs M1 in my current acoustic (tacoma DR20). I really like the M1 so I intend to keep it. I really like the looks of the J45, but the Songwriter seems brighter too me, and I like that. I don't know though.

First perhaps it's something to do witj the SWD cutaway.

If you look at

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Acoustic/Modern%20Classics/Square%20Shoulder%20Dreadnought/Songwriter%20Deluxe%20Cutaway

There appears to be something on the side and also it refers to a built in tuner.

Wait til the forum wakes up later and a wiser person than I will answer

BR

JOhn

Hey. I'm looking to buy a Gibson acoustic but I'm pretty confused. I'm trying to decide between a Songwriter Deluxe and a J45 Rosewood. I would be dead set on the Songwriter but I want one without the electronics on the side. Everyone I've ever played has had the electronics on the side. But' date=' according to musiciansfriend, they have LR Baggs pickup with the in hole volume. So I thought maybe only newer models had the LR Baggs (and no side EQ). But, I saw on this board that someone posted a picture of an 08 model that had the EQ on the side still. Then, I went to look at sweetwater, and the guitar they have does not have the side EQ (guitar can be viewed here: http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/acoustic/all/s00648064/). So I'm confused. Why do some have them and some don't? Do you think if I ordered one from musiciansfriend and it came with the fishman, I could send it back since their site says it comes with the LR baggs? Thanks for your help.[/quote']

One thing at a time. Take a sheet of paper and compare the specs line by line.

Electronics aside, focus on the guitar itself first, try and find one near you to play. Then go onto to comparing the electronics. The acoustic sound must be right for you as well as the fel of the guitar before the electronics matter.

Songwriter Deluxe

J-45 Rosewood MC

Hi,

You should be able to get whatever you want. I have a non-cutaway--and it is my favorite guitar. When I got mine, I called up 3 different 5 star dealers and asked them to quote me on a non-cutaway SWD in sunburst. I believe that they all called Montana to see what was available and they all got back to me with a quote on what was likely the same guitar--one available burst SWD that was at the factory.

(Btw, while the SWD is my favorite guitar soundwise--it is not my favorite in looks--which is why I wanted a burst. The abalone rossete does not stand out as much with the burst--making the guitar a little more toned down in looks).

One thing at a time. Take a sheet of paper and compare the specs line by line.

Electronics aside' date=' focus on the guitar itself first, try and find one near you to play. Then go onto to comparing the electronics. The acoustic sound must be right for you as well as the fel of the guitar before the electronics matter.

Songwriter Deluxe

J-45 Rosewood MC

Of course I've played them both. Multiple times. I'm not just looking at pictures online or something.

Thanks everyone for your help. I think the bottom line is that if I go for the songwriter and order online that I'll just call the place and talk to them first. I'd rather be able to find it at a guitar center though. Sucks living three hours away from any.

If you play with a pick get the SWD. If you play a combination of fingerstyle and flat pick then you might want the Rosewood J-45 or an AJ.

Play the guitars and listen to them. Buy local if you can so you can try them out first. Take a friend with you so you can try the guitars with a blindfold on. That is the ideal way to purchase with your ears.

Archived