Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson w/Ding - don't accept??

earthtrip

Hi all -

I have had my dream J200 on order for a while and it apparently just came into the shop (but with a small ding!). They offered to either send it back to Gibson or take $75 off (not much I don't think). I'm not planning on reselling this thing but I assume the ding would reduce the sale price by more then $75 wouldn't it?

I'm assuming this ISN'T common on brand new J200 is it? I realize it's pretty easy to ding an acoustic so thus the reason I ask.

Here's a link to a photo of the ding (for some reason this forum can't deal with Flickr urls properly)

http://tinyurl.com/5q5l4j

Thanks for any advice

Dings of any sort cause a 10% reduction in value. That ding looks pretty insignificant, so if you can get 10% off the price of the guitar and it sounds really great you win on both points. If the guitar sounds exceptional, get whatever you can get and don't worry about the ding. If it sounds average or below average, send it back because the next one might sound better.

Ultimately, your ears should make the decision - not your eyes - and if you are sure you will never sell the guitar - who cares?

Whether you love the guitar or not, refuse the credit and tell them you want to exchange the guitar.

The odds are quite good that the dealer will realize that he'll take a hit much bigger than $75 by paying return shipping and reducing the guitar's price for the next buyer.

My guess is that he'll then make a better offer to you.

Even if he doesn't, the worst case scenario is that you'll wait just a wee-bit longer for a perfect guitar.

Yeah $75 is hardly nothing. Listen to geeliness, ask the salesman to send it back, that will probably irritate him and he will either make a better offer or sulk about it in private heh. Demand nothing but quality and first class service!

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I'm going to send it back. My gut tells me to send it back as well. I can't tell where the ding happened - I'm guessing at the dealer. I wouldn't think Gibson would ship out something like that since they could probably fix it at the factory in a day and then send it out - but who knows.

I agree too that it looks like it's pretty deep into the wood. The finish looks damaged to me.

Anyway - I'll post back when I get my guitar (in another month I guess... :( )

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I'm going to send it back. My gut tells me to send it back as well. I can't tell where the ding happened - I'm guessing at the dealer. I wouldn't think Gibson would ship out something like that since they could probably fix it at the factory in a day and then send it out - but who knows.

I agree too that it looks like it's pretty deep into the wood. The finish looks damaged to me.

Anyway - I'll post back when I get my guitar (in another month I guess... :( )

I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment, but I think you did the right thing. You would have regretted it if you hadn't.

Good call on sending it back. If something like that bother you ( I know it would bother me), I'd send t back too... $75 was not nearly enough to discount that ding.

My new SJ-200 demo had no dings, but just some play wear on the pickguard and the dealer discounted it an extra -$350 off of their already -40% off of new list.

Don't feel too bad. While I was at the dealer today, I learned that a Gibson Custom Shop L-5 CES Electric Guitar they sold to an international buyer and shipped via FedEx had received significant damage in shipping. It came back to their store today and I was able to see it sitting in it's case. Apparently the box was compressed to a point that the guitar case pressed in pushing the pickguard into the top wood splitting it. Ouch! It wasn't Pretty! I think they said that guitar lists somewhere in the $13k range.... Bigger Ouch! I understand once they get the insurance thing arranged for the repair cost, it's going back to Gibson for the repair to live another day...

ibis' comment sticks true w/ me! I wouldn't want to buy a new guitar with a ding like that in the top. If I was the cause then at least I have a story behind it and I know exactly what happened. I would definately send that puppy back!

ibis' comment sticks true w/ me! I wouldn't want to buy a new guitar with a ding like that in the top. If I was the cause then at least I have a story behind it and I know exactly what happened. I would definately send that puppy back!

I wouldn't mint a tiny ding, as long as the guitar was discounted propely for it. $75 doesn't cover that ding in my book. $250 or more off would make me feel better about it in letting me not be the first to ding it.

Hi all -

I have had my dream J200 on order for a while and it apparently just came into the shop (but with a small ding!). They offered to either send it back to Gibson or take $75 off (not much I don't think). I'm not planning on reselling this thing but I assume the ding would reduce the sale price by more then $75 wouldn't it?

I'm assuming this ISN'T common on brand new J200 is it? I realize it's pretty easy to ding an acoustic so thus the reason I ask.

Here's a link to a photo of the ding (for some reason this forum can't deal with Flickr urls properly)

http://tinyurl.com/5q5l4j

Thanks for any advice

Everything is negotiable. Ask for 250 off and see if they bite. It's a Gibson for goodness sake, that ain't even 10% off. Settle for $200.00 or whatever is more comfortable than the cost of a HSC case. Oh... and ask for a hat as well.. I always ask for a hat. (Got two of them buyin' cars, heh, heh)

A little too late for my input, since you sent it back. But, there was a mom and pop music store in my area (mom and pop are now deceased) and they were Gibson dealers. I would walk in, every now and then, and there would be Gibsons still sealed in their boxes just sitting on the floor. They let me be the first to open the boxes and look at the instruments (not good for GAS). One day I opened up a LP Classic w/pp top. Stunning. Tight vertical flame with a close horizontal grain. "Checkerboard" was my first thought. Well fresh from gibson, there was a dimple on the top. Minor...but noticable. I bought the thing....couldn't let it pass. So, with guitars (like women) if you love 'em you got to accept their imperfections.

Its should be the owner's privilege to put the first ding in a guitar!

Too right Ibis, ceratinly wouldn't pay a dealer/despatcher to do it.

One glass of whisky, one rendition of Lola by the kinks and one smack against the door jamb does it evry time!

BR

JOhn

Well, I feel I have to share my D-28 story.

I ordered an HD-28V from Martin and it arrived with a paper thin gap between the heel cap and the body. Indeed, the neck sight line is not quite right - perfect for light guage strings but not right for the mediums this guitar is built to exclusively use.

I paid full price. The guitar always has lights on it and always will because that is what I play. Could a person technically argue that a neck reset is required. Well, if you wanted to be super anal about it - ya, you could.

However, and this is the biggest however in history - I have never in my life heard a Martin guitar that sounds better than this one. That is why I did not argue. If the neck was reset for medium string perfection, the tone would likely suffer from all that invasive work - most notably the sustain. I don't play mediums. I play lights and guitars are all about tone.

I feel it is a mistake to send a guitar back with that sort of minor blemish if indeed the guitar sounds amazing. If you end up with a perfect looking guitar that doesn't sound as good, you have missed the whole point.

Too right Ibis' date=' ceratinly wouldn't pay a dealer/despatcher to do it.

One glass of whisky, one rendition of Lola by the kinks and one smack against the door jamb does it evry time!

BR

JOhn[/quote']

And watch out for those pesky catches on the case!

I feel it is a mistake to send a guitar back with that sort of minor blemish if indeed the guitar sounds amazing. If you end up with a perfect looking guitar that doesn't sound as good' date=' you have missed the whole point.[/quote']

Certianly a very personal decision. This is one of those topics where everyone's own feelings for their decision is the right decision for them.

Certianly a very personal decision. This is one of those topics where everyone's own feelings for their decision is the right decision for them.

I agree that it's the decision of the person pulling the $3000 out of their pocket. I think the advice on both sides of the issue was well intentioned and it was interesting to see what others would have done under the same situation. I would just HAVE to send it back due to personalitiy traits that I have developed over many years. I wouldn't be able to deal with the defect. I could learn to deal with it if I did the dinging but it would take some time and possibly a couple prescriptions of Prozac before that woudl happen. Ok' date=' I'm exaggerating but I'd send it back. If I didn't like the one they sent me in exchange, I'd send it back too until my "Dream" finally came true. [/size']

Where guitars are concerned, of course, the goal almost everyone has is finding the guitar that sounds the best to us, in our hands and with the way we play. When someone comes here asking for advice, they are probably comfortable with the idea that some advice might challenge their view of things. If they were perfectly comfortable making the decision without all of our feedback, they wouldn't be here.

Earthtrip asks if he should be concerned about the ding, the value associated with the ding by the dealer and whether it is reasonable to accept a minor discount to cover the impact on resale of this ding on a guitar he claims he will never sell.

I presented my opinion strongly because I have been in his position. I felt I could best help him by reminding him that a guitar's sound is the real prize, long after we stop taking pictures of the inlays.

Since you felt the need to quote me and take exception to my presentation, let me ask you this:

What have you contributed to help Earthtrip make a decision that is going to put the best guitar in his hands? Is your protection, emotional validation and patronizing tone toward me answering his question or presenting the advice he has requested?

I certainly know I am trying to help him. You appear to simply be taking issue with my presentation. Perhaps you can direct your responses at the person requesting the advice in a helpful and meaningful way with a view to assisting his decision or encouraging him to feel good about whatever conclusion he comes to. I know that is what I would prefer.

Where guitars are concerned' date=' of course, the goal almost everyone has is finding the guitar that sounds the best to us, in our hands and with the way we play. When someone comes here asking for advice, they are probably comfortable with the idea that some advice might challenge their view of things. If they were perfectly comfortable making the decision without all of our feedback, they wouldn't be here.

Earthtrip asks if he should be concerned about the ding, the value associated with the ding by the dealer and whether it is reasonable to accept a minor discount to cover the impact on resale of this ding on a guitar he claims he will never sell.

I presented my opinion strongly because I have been in his position. I felt I could best help him by reminding him that a guitar's sound is the real prize, long after we stop taking pictures of the inlays.

Since you felt the need to quote me and take exception to my presentation, let me ask you this:

What have you contributed to help Earthtrip make a decision that is going to put the best guitar in his hands? Is your protection, emotional validation and patronizing tone toward me answering his question or presenting the advice he has requested?

I certainly know I am trying to help him. You appear to simply be taking issue with my presentation. Perhaps you can direct your responses at the person requesting the advice in a helpful and meaningful way with a view to assisting his decision or encouraging him to feel good about whatever conclusion he comes to. I know that is what I would prefer.

[/quote']

Hey Ballcorner, I think you need to take it down a few notches. Your response is way over the top.

First, I didn't take exception with your post, I simply said it's a very personal decision. What have I contributed? Just what he asked for: my point of view, as you did your's. And if you don't want your opinion to be discussed, why post it? This is a forum, after all.

Archived