Gibson Brands Forums

Robot guitar tuning accuracy

robertschulze

Hi, this is owner 3996 :-). Did any of you other owners bother to check the tuning accuracy? I did yesterday because my low e string always seemed a little out of tune to me. I used my Korg floor tuner with the following results:

All strings a little sharp (2-3cent) except the low e which is about 8-10cents sharp. not good..

I'd be interested in your experience. Maybe mine is just faulty or in need of a software update..

Robert

You also need to remember that each tuner can vary some due to the quality and crystal they use. A lot of tuners also have the ability to be recalibrated from time to time and every now and then it is not a bad idea to have your tuner checked out. I have three tuners and each one varies somewhat. They used the guitar I bought for the first part of their demo here, and they tuned it and set the intonation using the onboard system. They then pulled a new Peterson strobe tuner out of the cabinet and checked it, and it was bang on. I haven't checked it against my other tuners yet, but I haven't really sat down and played a huge amount with it yet (been too busy with the other toys). Have you checked to see that the guitar is set to 440Hz? If not, sit down with the manual and check it's calibration. If that looks ok, then try it against some other tuners too. If it is still off take it back and have the shop check it out for you. Hopefully it is nothing with the guitar, or nothing too serious if it is. Let us know what you find out.

There is also an accuracy option. Less accurate for fast tuning and more accurate but takes longer.

Check the manual for how to set this and you can also set the efunction which is supposed to assist the tuning.

I checked the tuning on my tuner and my robot is very accurately tuned sometimes you need to tune it a couple of times for it to set just so i find.

Did you change the strings or play with the truss rod and intonation and action?

Hi, I received an answer from Tronical (makers of the Tronical system) yesterday. It said I should tune some more or switch OFF the eFunction (whatever this is.."assists the tuning"). However nothing really changed when doing this...

My biggest problem was the dropped D tuning (preset on D-position of the MCK). Low D (on the low E string) was always too high. So what I did was manually fine-tune the E string an overwrite the preset. And voila: suddenly the tuning system worked just fine!

After this I also did a factory reset to see if it was just someone screwing with the presets. However the error returned. So it seems to me that the factory preset is faulty. Not a biggy as it can be repaired easily, however also somewhat disappointing for a 900Euro tuning system...

Glad you have gotten it working. You should send your problem in to Gibson via e-mail with tronical's reply as an attachment and tell them how you managed to get around it. It may be unique to your guitar, I have yet to try the dropped D tuning, but will play with it this weekend. However you might actually help Gibson and help others if the problem is in some or all of the other guitars. Not everyone will think to come here to read your solution. But, congrats on a cool way to fix it without giving up on it.

• 1 month later...

I tested all the tunings against my two Korg tuners. Both of Korg's give the same results. Strings are sharp or flat in standard tuning. Admittedly, strings are only about tuned since the pressure from the pick or fretting finger can throw things off.

I found the best way is to strum each string in succession, not to slow, and do it about three times before the lights go blue. Still not perfect.

Archived