Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Deluxe tuners

dponzi

Hi, I hope someone could answer a question. I have a 73 Les Paul Deluxe, that I purchased new. About 2 years after I got it (1975), I replaced the tuners with Grovers and I gave away the original tuners (like an idiot). Now I would like to put stock tuners back on it, and make it as original as possible. I see Gibson makes a couple of different pearloid tuners. Would anyone know which ones would be closest to the original 73 Les Paul tuners? Thanks for your help.

A '73 Les Paul Deluxe would have had "Gibson Deluxe" tuning machines probably with double-ring plastic keystone buttons. These were made by Kluson, and were the same tuning machine as the "Kluson Deluxe", except Gibson had Kluson put the "Gibson" name on them.

These differed from the 50's/60's tuners because of the "double-ring". The originals had only one ring at the bottom of the plastic button. The single-ring "vintage" replacements are readily available because of the market for "vintage" replacement parts. The double-ring ones are not so easy to find.

Many manufactures are making this style replacement tuners such as Grover, Schaller, Kluson, and Gotoh. If you really want the double-ring jobs, it will taken some digging. I'm not sure when they went from the single-ring to the double-ring tuners, but here's a couple of pics of my '75 Standard for reference, these are the double-ring style.

2327165490_71142383f1_o.jpg

2327165392_f5f563319b_o.jpg

As for the Gibson parts, these are the closest: PMMH-010: Vintage Nickel Machine Heads w/ Pearloid Buttons

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Accessories/Replacement%20Parts/Machine%20Heads/

Thanks Larry. I was on Musicians Friend and I actually seen two different sets of tuners by Gibson, that were similar. Unfortunatly, they don't list Gibson's part number, but I think I know which one PMMH-10 is. The other has a description of "Gibson Vintage Les Paul Pearloid Machine Tuning Heads". They are $30.00 more than PMMH-10. Would you know anything about them?

What is going to determine what tuners will fit your guitar is the size relationship between the bushings of the new tuners and the holes drilled in your peghead. Your peghead holes MAY have been modified to fit the Grovers and their bushings, in which case it may take some kind of "adapter" bushing to be able to change back. There are also two kinds of machine head bushings, press-fit, and threaded.

The answers to these questions can only be determined from the existing condition of your modified guitar and reaserch into the technical specifications of the available aftermarket products. This might be best determined by a reputable guitar technician in your area.

By the way Larry, I have a 76 ES-175 that has those same tuners (the double ring). Are all of those tuners interchangeable between Gibson guitars? I'm not planning on taking them off my ES-175, but if I find some on Ebay or at a guitar show, would there be a problem fitting them on my Les Paul? (aside from the bushing issue)?

Archived