Gibson Brands Forums

Old Gibson year, model and value help - 1948 L7c?

gaddis111

Hi,

I've got an old Gibson passed down to me years ago that I'm trying to find out more about and I've run into a snag. The inside serial number has been scratched off. The FON is still there; it is 4662 21. Still without the serial number, I'm not savy enough to be definitive. I think its a 1948 L7c.

Not sure if this will help, but it had at one time a black pick guard. With 3 kids the thing has disappeared; Yes, I'm still looking. With that said, I'm thinking of selling before the kids completely ruin it. Any idea of the value? Thanks for any help.

DSC_0744.jpg

DSC_0749.jpg

DSC_0752.jpg

DSC_0753.jpg

DSC_0757.jpg

Hi,

I've got an old Gibson passed down to me years ago that I'm trying to find out more about and I've run into a snag. The inside serial number has been scratched off. The FON is still there; it is 4662 21. Still without the serial number, I'm not savy enough to be definitive. I think its a 1948 L7c.

Not sure if this will help, but it had at one time a black pick guard. With 3 kids the thing has disappeared; Yes, I'm still looking. With that said, I'm thinking of selling before the kids completely ruin it. Any idea of the value? Thanks for any help.

Hi there:

Gruhn dates that FON to 1950.

Hopefully, some of the actual experts here can give you a more definitive answer, but I've been a bit obsessed with L7s since I bought one last May (also with a scratched out serial, by the way), so here's my two cents. The usual advice for a "real world" price is to check Gbase.com and the completed items listings on Ebay. I haven't seen a lot of L7cs. The non-cut sunburst L7s generally go for $1800-2500 depending on condition, but the cutaways are worth considerably more, as you probably know. There are some sunburst L7cs listed in the $3000-5000 range right now, but that doesn't mean they'll sell at that price. Yours looks to be in good, original condition, with the original case, so it should do well if you do decide to part with it (which I wouldn't).

- Kilgore

Thanks Kilgore.

I did find another website that indicated 1950.

The thought of selling has been a struggle for me. I took a few lessons back in the day, but since then, it's really just sat in the case in the closet and has collected dust. The one time I took it out to clean it, was the time I unscrewed the pickguard and wahla, kids or wife took off with that and it's missing.

Anyways, thanks for the insight. Anyone else think its a 1950? Value?

Thanks Kilgore.

I did find another website that indicated 1950.

The thought of selling has been a struggle for me. I took a few lessons back in the day' date=' but since then, it's really just sat in the case in the closet and has collected dust. The one time I took it out to clean it, was the time I unscrewed the pickguard and wahla, kids or wife took off with that and it's missing.

Anyways, thanks for the insight. Anyone else think its a 1950? Value?[/quote']

2010 Vintage Guitar Price Guide lists the 1950 sunburst L7C at $4000-4800 in excellent condition.

It's a shame about the fingerrest, but very common for them to go bad or missing. There are plenty of reproductions on the web of varying quality and price. It looks like the D and G tuners were replaced with later model Kluson's as well.

Good luck.

- Kilgore

2010 Vintage Guitar Price Guide lists the 1950 sunburst L7C at $4000-4800 in excellent condition.

I hate to be the bearer of reality here, but I have a problem with miss-information being disseminated on the www as fact. A L-7, of any vintage, will never bring that kind of money.

40's/50-'s L-7's actually sell for around $2000. If listing this guitar for sale I would ask around $2500 and accept a "reasonable" offer. If putting it on a "auction" site I would start it at around $1500 and hope for the best.

I hate to be the bearer of reality here' date=' but I have a problem with miss-information being disseminated on the www as fact. A L-7, of any vintage, will never bring that kind of money.

40's/50-'s L-7's actually sell for around $2000. If listing this guitar for sale I would ask around $2500 and accept a "reasonable" offer. If putting it on a "auction" site I would start it at around $1500 and hope for the best.[/quote']

Thanks, L5Larry. I really didn't mean to misinform. Most of the completed Ebay sales for non-cutaway L7s I've seen are in the $1800-2500 range (at least those in decent shape). Although I'm not naive enough to believe the Vintage Guitar Guide price or the Gbase dealer prices are comparable to a real world Ebay sale, I would've expected cutaways to go for more than what non-cutaways seem to sell for.

Regards,

- Kilgore

• 2 years later...

Wow, did i really post this 4 years ago? Anyways, still have the Gibson L-7c, but now ive got a new issue. Opened the case yesterday and the metal piece at the bottom which hold the strings broke. I have no idea how to fix or find his piece. Looks like im going to be forced to sell. Kinda sad...

Wow, did i really post this 4 years ago? Anyways, still have the Gibson L-7c, but now ive got a new issue. Opened the case yesterday and the metal piece at the bottom which hold the strings broke. I have no idea how to fix or find his piece. Looks like im going to be forced to sell. Kinda sad...

Need 2 more posts before i can sell...

You don't have to sell it just because of a broken tailpiece... if that's the only reason you're talking about. :unsure:

Archived