Gibson Brands Forums

Grover Tuners On A Les Paul

Les Paul Fanatic

Depends which tuners are coming out.

At the very least you'll have mis-matched screw holes on the back side.

Not necessary, I did it on one of my Les Pauls and found no tuning stability changes.

Still, the Grovers are my preference.

Depends which tuners are coming out.

At the very least you'll have mis-matched screw holes on the back side.

Not necessary' date=' I did it on one of my Les Pauls and found no tuning stability changes.

Still, the Grovers are my preference.[/quote']

I'm pulling the stock tuners out, and replacing those with either the Grovers or the Gibson Deluxe tuners, most likely Grovers.

I bought some Grover Deluxe replacements off Stew Mack and they fit perfectly.

Yeah Saturn' date=' there are several options with the Deluxe tuners from Grover, Kluson, etc.

Problem is, even though the modern ones work better with the 14:1 ratio, they aren't very durable.

The Grover Rotomatic is the way to go if you're gonna do any sort of mod to the headstock.

The single screw will be in a different spot, and the larger posts usually require drilling out the holes.

Not for a novice to attempt.

Ever see a picture of a split headstock?

OUCH!

There's a few tricks you need to know before attempting it.

I just paid the forty bucks and had a Gibson-authorized luthier do it for me.

The Grovers are heavier, much more durable, smoother, and will last forever.

It's a great worthwhile swap if you wanna do it.

Just remember that the light duty Deluxe style tuner is now the same 14:1 ratio so tuning stability is the same.

I have them on every Gibson I own except my 335, and the one Les Paul I paid to have swapped out.

Unless I break one, I'll just leave them on the guitars.

Tazzboy' date=' they're the stock tuners, the Gibson Deluxe and saturn I know what you mean about having them break, I had the same thing happen to me, that's why I'm replacing them. Oh and on a side note, the micro-tune bridges, would gibson have those or would I have to check Stew Mac for that also?[/quote']

I would have gone with Kluson or Gotoh Tuning Keys.

Nothing wrong with Grover's I have them on my 82 Les Paul cause the original Gibson Tulip tuners were similar to Grover's so I was an easy switch.

• 3 weeks later...

I measured the posts on the Gibson Deluxe and the Grover tuning machines and they are the same diameter. So in theory, all will be swell. Now on another side note, what strap do you guys use on your Les Paul? Me, I'm about to drop a Red Monkey on mine tonight, just got to get up to Nashville and pick it up. All the best.

Archived