Gibson Brands Forums

1960 Gibson Acoustic - Serial R5819

Johnny Michaels

Hi Johnny' date=' welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your osteoarthritis. I can give you a link to a website that might help but can you describe the guitar? Pickguard? Archtop, etc? Better yet, post pictures?

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html#serial[/quote']

Flattop. Pickguard. I would post pictures, if I could figure out how to do that on this forum! :)

Gilliangirl' date='

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html#serial

The link you gave out does not work. I have it bookmarked and can get there from my bookmark, can not copy and post, it goes to another website[/quote']

Well, that's weird! I've had that thing bookmarked for ages. I guess I should have tried it first. Hmmmm..... back to the drawing board.

Alrighty then, it didn't like that one either. As an old and feeble retiree, I am following Gearbasher's instructions, but instead of using a picture service, I am simply trying to copy and paste the .jpg picture inbetween the brackets from my C:drive subdirectory location. Doesn't appear to work. I am a member of Snapfinger and I can upload thereto and try copying/pasting it from there, per Gearbasher's directions. Either that, or send your personal email address to jmgaundersr@aol.com and I'll post it to you for darn sure that way =D>

OK, here's my guess. The serial number does appear to be from 1960 and the guitar looks to me like a model LG-1. Here's what the website says about it.

LG-1 - spruce top, round soundhole, tortoise pickguard, bound body, 1 stripe rosette, mahogany back/sides/neck, 14/19 fret rosewood fingerboard with pearl dot inlay, rosewood straight bridge with pearl dot inlay, black bridge pins,

blackface peghead with screened logo, 3 per side nickel tuners with plastic buttons. Available in Sunburst finish. Mfd.

1947 to 1968.

If that is correct, the "Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars" lists the value at $1050-$1250 for excellent condition and $625-$725 for average condition.

There are others with much more knowledge in this area than myself and I'm sure they'll chime in soon.

Y'all are awesome! Thanx to Gearbasher, Gilliangirl and Guitarstrummer for all your help. Special thanx to our Canadian guitar picker for responding with her personal email address and facilitating posting of the pictures! At least, now I should be able to avoid being taken to the woodshed by the dealer/buyer! =D> Is it just coincidence that all three of your handles start with the letter "G" (for "Gibson)?

John Gaunder, Sr (age 70)

p.s. I still have an Ephiphone laying around, so I think I'll stick on the forum, but I'm changing my handle to "G-Man".....=P~

Welcome G-Man! That's a pretty nice looking LG-1 you have there. There is one hanging in my local shop that looks about the same as yours, it's a '63, I believe, and has a price tag on it that says $1200. There was a luthier in there that doesn't work there who was looking at an old Martin parlor guitar. I commented on the Lg-1 and the price and he said, It looks good and sounds good and is worth at leat $1000. That's all I have!

Y'all are awesome! Thanx to Gearbasher' date=' Gilliangirl and Guitarstrummer for all your help. Special thanx to our Canadian guitar picker for responding with her personal email address and facilitating posting of the pictures! At least, now I should be able to avoid being taken to the woodshed by the dealer/buyer! =D> Is it just coincidence that all three of your handles start with the letter "G" (for "Gibson)?

John Gaunder, Sr (age 70)

p.s. I still have an Ephiphone laying around, so I think I'll stick on the forum, but I'm changing my handle to "G-Man".....=P~ [/quote']

My pleasure, G-Man! Yes, by all means, do stick around!

Archived