Gibson Brands Forums

String satisfaction tracking system

Gilliangirl

Home sick today with a head cold so thought I'd put new strings on the guitar. At the risk of sounding like the anal-retentive fisherman, this is my nifty little tracking system for what strings I liked/didn't like:

1) Cut front cover off string box

2) Punch hole with pencil into top left-hand corner

3) Put reinforcement around hole (optional)

4) Write my review on back of box cover

5) Thread through big silver ring.

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

Works great!

Sounds like it will work. I use a small notebook. One in each case to record string changes,

likes/dislikes, major and minor repairs. Haven't yet added 'injuries'. "Eight fish sticks, always

eight."....

So who's the recipient of a new set of threads? Magic or Jonathan? Still usin' the knitting

supplies for string changin'?

Hope you're feeling better.

Sounds like it will work. I use a small notebook. One in each case to record string changes' date='

likes/dislikes, major and minor repairs. Haven't yet added 'injuries'. "Eight fish sticks, always

eight."....

So who's the recipient of a new set of threads? Magic or Jonathan? Still usin' the knitting

supplies for string changin'?

Hope you're feeling better.[/quote']

No, no more knitting supplies. I've moved up into the big time now. Using a Kyser capo! Works much better than yarn!

Maj got the new strings, even tho' Jonathan needs them worse. (I could be legitimately accused of favoritism!)

I've got all of my guitar details on the computer (and well backed up). I have a sheet for each guitar that shows the details (date purchased, where from, price, original saddle, nut, pins, strings, etc.). I then have a line for logging the date and everything done to the guitar on that date. I can also add notes concerning string performance. I also have a section where I copied/pasted the information from Gibson, if the guitar is a newer model and I can find the information on their website. You never know when they might discontinue a certain model and the information may not be available any longer.

Wow, that's impressive. I've never written one word anywhere tracking my string usage. I like to try different strings from time to time and if I don't like them I never use them again. I could probably handle Karen's system if I were inclined to want to keeep track, but, Mike, my friend, you have taken guitar string tracking to heights to which I'll never ascend! ( Did Karen use the term "anal"? lol) Seriously, as long as you have the time, inclination and get satisfaction out of doing this, I say go for it. Mike probably has to do something similar to keep track of which guitars he has!!

I've got all of my guitar details on the computer (and well backed up). I have a sheet for each guitar that shows the details (date purchased' date=' where from, price, original saddle, nut, pins, strings, etc.). I then have a line for logging the date and everything done to the guitar on that date. I can also add notes concerning string performance. I also have a section where I copied/pasted the information from Gibson, if the guitar is a newer model and I can find the information on their website. You never know when they might discontinue a certain model and the information may not be available any longer.[/quote']

Oh, nobody loves keepings lists and statistics more than I do. Still, a day came when I realized the importance of playing the guitars had to outweigh the importance of documenting them. 3 hours every day, though I must admit my lists are falling a bit behind.

Wow' date=' that's impressive. I've never written one word anywhere tracking my string usage. I like to try different strings from time to time and if I don't like them I never use them again. I could probably handle Karen's system if I were inclined to want to keeep track, but, Mike, my friend, you have taken guitar string tracking to heights to which I'll never ascend! ( Did Karen use the term "anal"? lol) Seriously, as long as you have the time, inclination and get satisfaction out of doing this, I say go for it. Mike probably has to do something similar to keep track of which guitars he has!! [/size']

What can I say? It's actually very easy, once you get it set up. You can track everything you've ever done to each guitar. Just like keeping maintenance records for your car. You do keep maintenance records for your car, don't you? My car records are also computerized. LOL

What can I say? It's actually very easy' date=' once you get it set up. You can track everything you've ever done to each guitar. Just like keeping maintenance records for your car. You do keep maintenance records for your car, don't you? My car records are also computerized. LOL[/quote']

Mike, I do keep track of my vehicle maintainance. When I have my truck serviced, I carefully fold the service report and put it in my owners folder in the glove box. Close the glove box. Drive home and play my guitar!

Wow I'm Impressed how organized. I am kind of on the other end of the line I think I'm doing great when I remember to throw one of the string packing envelopes in the case compartment. as far as writing down my impressions or when it was changed or anything else never happened yet in 25+ years of playing, so not likely.

maybe that's why I like Elixir nothing to track then I only need to recognize the difference between acoustic and electric guitars.

I guess the only benefit to my half baked way of keeping track is if I ever suffer from age induced memory loss nobody will ever know. there would be no records to check =D>

Maintenance record for cars???

Shoot I don't even balance my checkbook other than once a year when the accountant does the tax's figure that's what he's getting paid for .

Oh' date=' my! This is far too complicated for me.

Heck, it takes all of my organizational faculties just to be sure that my fly is zipped when I leave home in the morning[/quote']

If i started a sytem like this and then I lost my notes, I would be in a frenzy knowing I would have to start my comparisons all over again... O:)

Change strings ? I would only do that if one breaks.... Have never changed strings on an acoustic.... Surely they improve with age/use....

If you're one of the people that likes the sound of dead strings' date=' then what you have said would be true.[/size']

I have been using SP MARQUIS 80/20 BRONZE ACOUSTIC GUITAR and been very happy with them.

Light .012 .016 .025 .032 .042 .054 I think that .011 are too wimpy.

I like everything about them and as an added benefit I really like the look of the 1st and Second strings being bronze in color and matching the wounds.

I have decided that I prefer the 80/20 over PB in general.

http://www.martinstrings.com/strings/display_set.php?display=139

My SOP for changing strings is:

play guitar .....

notice strings are getting funky....

procrastinate till I can't stand it any more......

change strings....

make mental notation that I changed my strings ....

enjoy how my guitar sounds ......

rinse and repeat

I write the date on the pack and throw it in the case. Am surprised sometimes when I check the date and find out its been more than a year since I put the last set on. I have many guitars, so it ain,t like one guitar getting played constantly. I personall don,t like the sound of fresh acoustic strings. On my electrics, I like them fresh!

Archived