Gibson Brands Forums

J45 ?

jel56

I recently bought a Gibson accoustic...It was advertised as a 1971 J45.. Its a square shouldered natural top and I absolutely adore it but having done a bit of research it seems all J45s are sunbursts...Is that right ? the serial number 614633 would seem to indicate it was made in the early 70s...

I recently bought a Gibson accoustic...It was advertised as a 1971 J45.. Its a square shouldered natural top and I absolutely adore it but having done a bit of research it seems all J45s are sunbursts...Is that right ? the serial number 614633 would seem to indicate it was made in the early 70s...

I always thought all J-45's were burst. The same model in a natural is a different model number.

I'm thinking it's most likely a J50... No label in the sound hole unfortunately ...have a J30 as well ,bit newer but another sq shoulder natural and the difference in tone is remarkable...

71J45.jpg

I'm thinking it's most likely a J50

Looks like a Blue Ridge to me. Here's the description from the Vintage Guitar Info website:

Blue Ridge Flattop

Available: 1968 to 1990

1968 Blue Ridge introduction specs:

16.25" wide, square shoulder dreadnought, laminate outside rosewood layer (maple inner layers) back and sides, top belly bridge with adjustable rosewood saddle, black teardrop pickguard, bound top and back, 25.5" scale unbound rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays, no peghead ornamentation, decal "gibson" peghead logo, natural finish.

1969 Blue Ridge specs:

bottom belly bridge.

1970 Blue Ridge specs:

non-adjustable bridge saddle. 12 string model available.

1979 Heritage discontinued. Reintroduced with different specs in 1989 and discontinued in 1990.

-- Bob R

Yeah I think you are both right.... Only one I can find a pic of that looks even similar is a blue ridge ,and the age would be about right too.... Ta very much... Never heard of a blue ridge before this evening...

Which kinda proves my complete and total ignorance of Gibson acoustics.... (decades of playing nothing but teles)

Archived