Gibson Brands Forums

ENGL Awesome Gear!

doublecutjr

I hope some of you have had the opportunity to go out and try an ENGL amp or, play through one of their cabinets. I happen to own an original engl tube pre amp model 620 (they don't make it anymore.) I purchased it originally from the brother of the owner back in 1985, Bruno Engl, I had just seen a show with Hall and Oats and noticed that John Oats was playing this very cool sounding tube amp I'd never seen. After the show which was at a small local club in Connecticut, I asked John about it. He flipped me a phone number and said, "well they have a few of these in a guys garage in Ridgefield, CT but they can't sell them yet to the general public, good luck." So, I tracked this guy down and showed up at his house with a few hundred dollars in my wallet. When I told him how I had found out about the amps, he smiled and said, "if you have cash, I will sell" in a very broken english voice, you see he was from West Germany and when they brought the amps here, they were waiting for the proper license to sell to the public via West Coast Sound, Danbury, CT............. good old fat boy Ed Roman, does anyone like him?????????? lol,,,,,,,, make a long story short, I bought the model 620 Pre Amp and it was just staggering, I have it to this day and it toured with me for 15 years and never an issue. Since that time they have become much better known thanks to Ritchie Blackmore and his endorsment of the head. Please go out and try their amps, they are all built in Germany, seeing as the wall fell in 1989 it's no longer made in West Germany, so I guess I have a collector's item because it's stamped Made in West Germany. Either way, hey, they make a great amp and go take a listen.

1975 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top

1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom Cherry Sunburst

1965 Gibson Les Paul JR/SG Polaris White (refinished)

2005 Gibson Les Paul Junior Vintage Sunburst

2007 Gibson Explorer Pro Heritage Cherry

2007 Gibson Les Paul Junior Double Cut Nashville Satin White (GOTW, 400 made)

2007 Gibson Melody Maker Joan Jett Series White

2008Gibson SG Classic Heritage Cherry

2009 Gibson Nighthawk Trans Amber Limited Run (350)

1978 Fender Stratocaster Yellow

1974 Marshall MK II 50 watt head

1974 Marshall 4x12 1960 Bass Lead, 25w Celestian Greenback 16 ohm

1976 Marshall 4x12 1960 Base Lead, 25w Celestian Brownback 16 ohm Ipswitch

1978 Fender Pro Reverb 2x12 Silver Face

2006 Crown DA-75 Power Amp

2004 Genz Benz 2x12 G-Flex Ported Cabinet

1985 ENGL Model 620 Tube Pre Amp

2007 TC Electronics D-TWO

2006 Lexicon MX200

2001 Roland XP-30 Synthesizer

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what you mean. you don't know what I am saying? Maybe you missed the first thread. Here it is again:

I hope some of you have had the opportunity to go out and try an ENGL amp or, play through one of their cabinets. I happen to own an original engl tube pre amp model 620 (they don't make it anymore.) I purchased it originally from the brother of the owner back in 1985, Bruno Engl, I had just seen a show with Hall and Oats and noticed that John Oats was playing this very cool sounding tube amp I'd never seen. After the show which was at a small local club in Connecticut, I asked John about it. He flipped me a phone number and said, "well they have a few of these in a guys garage in Ridgefield, CT but they can't sell them yet to the general public, good luck." So, I tracked this guy down and showed up at his house with a few hundred dollars in my wallet. When I told him how I had found out about the amps, he smiled and said, "if you have cash, I will sell" in a very broken english voice, you see he was from West Germany and when they brought the amps here, they were waiting for the proper license to sell to the public via West Coast Sound, Danbury, CT............. good old fat boy Ed Roman, does anyone like him?????????? lol,,,,,,,, make a long story short, I bought the model 620 Pre Amp and it was just staggering, I have it to this day and it toured with me for 15 years and never an issue. Since that time they have become much better known thanks to Ritchie Blackmore and his endorsment of the head. Please go out and try their amps, they are all built in Germany, seeing as the wall fell in 1989 it's no longer made in West Germany, so I guess I have a collector's item because it's stamped Made in West Germany. Either way, hey, they make a great amp and go take a listen.

Archived