Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage J-45 Authenticity Check

rscott4079

Okay, setting aside for the moment the obviously unoriginal pickguard, bridge and tuners - does this appear to be an actual J-45 to you guys? It was for sale at the Central Dallas Guitar Center and purports to be a 1940's era J-45. The body shape looks odd to me......

104567624_lg.jpg

Refresh once to make the photo bigger.....

Please fix the link. It asks me to log into my Yahoo account when I click on your link.

+1

You have your pics as private take the direct photo URL and paste them here ot put them in a host site like photobucket

I think the flash pointed at the upper fret board washed out some of the color of the burst. It looks like a late '40s J45. 19 frets, so it is at least prior to 1955(?) I dont see a banner, so it would be after '46. The bridge is completely wrong. As far as I know the belly of the bridge never faced the tail on J-45s.

I think the flash pointed at the upper fret board washed out some of the color of the burst.

I don't see how the flash can account for the burst being the wrong shape or extending into the upper bout that way.

-- Bob R

Archived