Gibson Brands Forums

How the computer age has contributed to music

guitarstrummer

The other thread about songbooks got me thinking a bit. Have you ever wondered where we'd be today in the music world if the home computer hadn't been invented? I know most of us have purchased guitar chordbooks at some time in our past and have learned to play from them.

I would venture to say that many of us now depend on the computer to locate various lyrics and chords for the songs we play. Where would we if the computer hadn't been invented?

The younger members of our forum probably weren't around before the computer age. But I remember listening to songs over and over again on the radio or records (yes records) and trying to correctly hear the lyrics and then write them down. I would then grab my guitar and try to figure out the chords to each song. I would then type them (yes, using a manual typewriter) and then put them into a three-ring binder.

After the home computer came around, I then retyped my collection of songs and saved them to a floppy. This collection has gradually grown throughout the years and now I have two large three-ring binders filled with my collection of songs.

It's also much easier now to locate the songs on the Internet through the various sites and just copy/paste the songs into a word processing program. After a bit a tweaking, they can be printed out and added.

I'd hate to think about having to still do everything the "old fashioned way".

I remember reading how those who went to collect music in the mountains - I guess in the 1930s and 40s found that many of the musicians were sort of isolated and only had a few songs they knew. They were Really Good, of course at that small selection. But they didn't even have much by way of clear radio reception. So, (y)our pre-computer internet way was still more advanced. Not to mention the difference in instruments. Yes, I agree - it is really great to be able to hear a song and then look it up on the internet.

I remember reading how those who went to collect music in the mountains - I guess in the 1930s and 40s found that many of the musicians were sort of isolated and only had a few songs they knew. They were Really Good' date=' of course at that small selection. But they didn't even have much by way of clear radio reception. So, (y)our pre-computer internet way was still more advanced. Not to mention the difference in instruments. Yes, I agree - it is really great to be able to hear a song and then look it up on the internet. [/quote']

I have a friend who often talks about his dad learning songs that way and then they were passed down to my friend. Most of them are stored away in his head and very few are written down. I keep telling him he should write them down before something happens to him and the songs are lost forever.

my computer has proven to be an invaluable tool in enhancing my skills and my enjoyment of playing. i can only imagine what might have been had i had access to all this info when i first picked up a guitar at the age of 10. oh well, better late than never. i suppose it's somewhat sweeter now that i'm older and can afford a handful of nice guitars. but still, it makes you wonder. kids have it sooo easy today!

I would venture to say that many of us now depend on the computer to locate various lyrics and chords for the songs we play. Where would we if the computer hadn't been invented?

I'd hate to think about having to still do everything the "old fashioned way".

I used to have a very large collection of books, sheets and even microfilm for various music. In the mid to late 80's I started putting alot of what I referenced on thos big 5 1/4 floppys. As computers enhanced, the more I added and was able to transfer along to the newer computers. Amazingly enough alot of those keystrokes I made back in the 80's are now on CD's. And without all of those books , sheets and yes Microfilm, I have alot more room for gear without filing cabinets and bookshevles taking up the space.

So that's one angle on why PC's and the internet is a better way than the old way.

I have a friend who often talks about his dad learning songs that way and then they were passed down to my friend. Most of them are stored away in his head and very few are written down. I keep telling him he should write them down before something happens to him and the songs are lost forever.

I've known a few musicians who could play a library of songs with merely a short pause and strum to get their thoughts together beofre playing without missing a note. It's a true gift, one I wish I had.

my computer has proven to be an invaluable tool in enhancing my skills and my enjoyment of playing.

I couldn't image being without a PC today. I do nearly everything on it from research' date=' banking, music, you name it.

Life is indeed easier, but maybe [u']not[/u] less complicated with it.

My father's first album was actually released on cassette first (album later) and my mother hand typed every card stock insert with the song titles. That old IBM Selectric earned it's keep.

Up in his room are several notebooks with all the song lyrics in them, all the old Wilf Carter (Montana Slim) songs, all hand typed with a penned note as to the preferred key and the occasional penned chord reminder. Hard to do much with it, as most of the songs I don't recall the melody. He sold all of his 78s to finance the album. Some of those old songs were so good I wish I could sing!

I've known a few musicians who could play a library of songs with merely a short pause and strum to get their thoughts together beofre playing without missing a note. It's a true gift' date=' one I wish I had.[/quote']

I have a friend like that. He can play anything. All he needs to do is to hear it once and off he goes. We regularly get together and play and I think he sometimes gets frustrated with me because I'm not able to do that. He's also an excellent mandolin player and does the same thing wtih the mandolin. He has made me a better player, though. I pick up what I can from him and have come to realize that I will never be as good as him, so I've stopped letting it frustrate me so much. When we first started playing together, I thought that everyone could actually do that and I was the only odd ball. I now realize that he has a gift and most people are actually more like me.

I play my Les Paul through a line6 guitarport virtual amp that is connected to my computer. I can then either use the computer speakers or headphones to keep from disturbing my wife. It has a nearly infinite number of amp configurations and sounds pretty damn good.

I use Stefan Grossman and Homespun DVD lessons that I rip to my computer. I can then play along with the lesson and even use the headphones when practicing or playing along.

I have found some absolutely great guitar lessons on YouTube. ---> this guy is pretty cool --> deltabluestips

I have also found lots of great music performance footage on Youtube. (I use Firefox and Download Helper to download to my computer for more permanent availability ....to many times a great video gets taken down) ---> downloadhelper

I have my entire music collection ripped to MP3 and stored on a server that I can access on my home network. 80+ gigs that I can stream to a Roku Soundbridge attached to my stereo or play on any computer I have on the network.

I also share all the ripped DVD lessons and Concert/Music DVDs and can play them over my network using either my Mvix media player attached to my TV or on any computer. -----> Mvix

(Yes I have nearly 2 terabytes of storage.......and I am nearly maxed out already.)

So basically....nah....computers haven't changed my musical life at all .................NOT!

Hey Mike....can you email me your library????? LOL......The thing I find greatest for the guitar is YOUTUBE' date=' there are TONS of free lessons on line.....enough to keep my fingers tired.....I wish I had this 30 years ago....[/quote']

You have e-mail.

I He has made me a better player' date=' though. I pick up what I can from him and have come to realize that I will never be as good as him, so I've stopped letting it frustrate me so much. When we first started playing together, I thought that everyone could actually do that and I was the only odd ball. I now realize that he has a gift and most people are actually more like me. [/quote']

Agree! One of the best way to improve is play with other above your level, despite their paitience may be tested...:-({|=

yep who knew huh?

just think though it's done the same thing for Pin Ups and Playboy todays kids just don't know how frustrating and hard being young could be.

maybe that will replace our grandparent walking to school in the snow stories. can hear it now Gramps is it true? you really had to learns songs from friends or books EEWWW gross followed quickly by and is it all really true also that you had friends actually played sports and even god forbid went outdoors....

You are all right as ever. Our enjoyment of playing and learning more about our guitars, mandolines, zithers, harpsichords, bazoukis etc has no doubt been enhanced by access to the internet and to the home computer.

The compueter in it's widest form has benfited mankind considerably in all manner of ways

The silicon chip is probably the greatest invention since the wheel.

Why then did it have to be used to help develop?

1.The synthesiser

2.Whatever the device is called to make "bands" (since when did a band not play instruments) like

The spice girls, westlife,new kids on the block etc, hit the right notes.

3.The robot guitar

4.Muzak

5.Email ( I used to have days to respond to letters now it's ASAP)

'part from that computers are groovy and I for one benefit hugely from access to infromation and coaching which would cost me a lot of dosh to acquire elsewhere!

Yes, you got it I am having a "grumpy" saturday morning!

Archived