Gibson Brands Forums

ANGUS YOUNG'S SG ON BLACK ICE WORLD TOUR

heritage cherry

I saw AC DC on Saturday night in Sydney on the Australian leg of their Black Ice World Tour. They were bloody awesome !

Angus was playing a black SG the whole night. It had the small pick-guard & had trapezoid fret-markers. It wasn't the Gibson Angus Young SG with the lightning bolt fret-markers.

He seemingly played the same guitar for the whole two-hour show without ever tuning it !

Anyone know any further details about this guitar? Or if he did/does change guitars during the show?

I'd be surprised if he never swapped guitars during the show.

He's not especially brutal, but his playing is a bit aggressive.

That's alot to ask of any electric guitar, to stay in tune for an hour of that...

As far as his SG's, he tours with several.

I've seen him a few times and he usually played a black SG, and a walnut-colored one for a few songs.

I'd be curious if his original '68 with a Maestro went out with him on tour.

And yes, I've NEVER seen him play his signature model onstage.

I dunno if I've ever seen a comprehensive story detailing just what guitars he uses...

Good question.

Who opened the show for them?

Here in the USA it was The Answer - a damned good band from Belfast.

The Angus signature SG is about cashing in on his name and selling over-priced guitars.

A bit over-priced , but its a great guitar. Theres no doubt about that!!!! Of course it all about selling guitars,Wtf else? . If you want it buy it if not don't.

I saw the AC/DC concert when it was in my neck of the woods back in the summer of aught 9. Blew my mind no doubt, but I think he just plays an SG Standard, like he always has. I remember reading somewhere (but cannot confirm) that the SG standard he plays is pretty much stock factory, but I've been wrong before.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Yeah, I think you're right Yew, about it being a 61 re-issue. Damn fine guitar !

Being stadium shows, it's sometimes hard to focus on Angus all the time - where is he now, oh, over on that side of the stage - so maybe I missed something, but I'd swear blind (even though I might be wrong) that he never changed guitars or tuned it during the whole show.

Regarding NeoConMan's query about who opened for AC DC in Australia; it was Wolfmother, an Australian band that sounds a bit like Ozzy Osbourne singing songs that are like Led Zeppelin & Neil Young mixed together.

I would bet on a Reissue, because he favors slim tapper necks (as on the reissue and all signature models). He is a small guy with small hands - I am sure he would not choose a Standard.

I do love his signature models, I just don't dig the slim neck. I love my "baseball bat" [blink]

angus has been known to fhcnage guitars in the middle of a song, and its possible he could have two ideantical guitars

FYi malcolm young carrys 4 guitars on tour, His original Gretsch, one he picked up before the albumn Powerage, and two more recent versions of his signiature guitar...

I saw the AC/DC concert when it was in my neck of the woods back in the summer of aught 9. Blew my mind no doubt' date=' but I think he just plays an SG Standard, like he always has. I remember reading somewhere (but cannot confirm) that the SG standard he plays is pretty much stock factory, but I've been wrong before. [/quote']

Correct, Anges uses the SG as a one-trick pony.

He uses standard SG's with standard Gibson humbuckers, the stacks off Marshalls does the rest, thats foor the tubescreaming i mean.

He justs turns the volume en master wide open.

Oh did you know that Angus lives in the Netherlands?, he lives in a little village called Aalten.

He lives in the centre of the village where he build a big house.

You can see him there, like every other guy, he walks his dog, does the groceries etc.

Correct' date=' Anges uses the SG as a one-trick pony.

He uses standard SG's with standard Gibson humbuckers, the stacks off Marshalls does the rest, thats foor the tubescreaming i mean.

He justs turns the volume en master wide open.

Oh did you know that Angus lives in the Netherlands?, he lives in a little village called Aalten.

You can see him there, like every other guy, he walks his dog, does the groceries etc.[/quote']

His wife is Dutch isn't she?

The black sg with small pickguard was not made for the Black ice tour he used it years before. In the Live at Donnington dvd he uses it for almost the whole show. But anyway i saw them twice on the Black ice tour and he used his old sg standard with the lightning bolt fretboard and the other time he used the black sg. One more thing is that he uses seymour duncan paerly gates pickups. This link tells it all!

http://www.seymourduncan.com/news/seymour-corner/seymour_duncan_7/

That black SG Angus has is not a reissue in any way shape or form. It's from the 60's. He has two lightning bolt inlayed guitars too.

This is a pic from backstage on the Black Ice tour. Angus plugs his Gibson SG right into a lectrosonics wireless unit, into a splitter box and from the splitter into a couple vintage Marshall JTM45's and a couple Superleads. When I saw AC/DC in Wilkes-Barre opening night he played the Black sg one of the lightning SGs and the black custom with the white pickguard. The other two shows I went to he only used the black sg. Also his pickups are a custom version of the Seymour Duncan pearly gates.....

583824400.jpg

Oh did you know that Angus lives in the Netherlands?' date=' he lives in a little village called Aalten.

You can see him there, like every other guy, he walks his dog, does the groceries etc.[/quote']

Check out this pic of his house:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZV9dVjd35H4/Rv95wAwpq5I/AAAAAAAAAEA/MPY2KiwqlPI/s400/Germany%2B006.jpg

You can see little Angus heads with horns and all on the ribbons above the brick pillars.

That black SG Angus has is not a reissue in any way shape or form. It's from the 60's. He has two lightning bolt inlayed guitars too.

This is a pic from backstage on the Black Ice tour. Angus plugs his Gibson SG right into a lectrosonics wireless unit' date=' into a splitter box and from the splitter into a couple vintage Marshall JTM45's and a couple Superleads. When I saw AC/DC in Wilkes-Barre opening night he played the Black sg one of the lightning SGs and the black custom with the white pickguard. The other two shows I went to he only used the black sg. Also his pickups are a custom version of the Seymour Duncan pearly gates.....

[img']http://musikkweb.no/images/w450/583824400.jpg[/img]

Do you guys see that small setlist next to his black SG? It says "tune" in The Jack, I'm guessing that they tune it while Angus strips, but I can't see any notice of changing guitars, so I'm pretty sure that he somehow manages to keep the same one pretty much in tune during the whole show. Having been to two shows last year, I acutally tried to keep my eyes on his guitar and see if he would tune it, which I can't say I ever saw him do... He must have some kind of undestroyable SG with perfect tuning [biggrin] Oh, and his neck pickup is on the wrong way. I wonder if it's out of phase too, or if they've just put the cover on wrong. Not that he ever uses the neck p/u with AC/DC, anyway.

I remember reading that he had a black 61 reissue specially made for this tour (black finish' date=' Black ice)

small pickguard, trapezoid fret markers, seems to fit the bill.....[/quote']

Do you remember where you read that interview? I'm always up for some AC/DC reading [biggrin]

Sorry mate' date=' i cant remember........

But it is a shame his 68 isnt in the lineup anymore.....[/quote']

Sure is, but a guitar with rotten wood probably isn't going to sound too good either.

I do wonder how he manages to keep his guitar in tune during a two hour show, when I can get mine to stay in tune for approximately three songs during rehearsals [biggrin] Well, the G-string is a bit of a problem (as with any guitar basically), but the other strings are somewhat in tune.

I have seen Angus use the next pickup on his guitars....he also puts it in that way so it gets a slightly different tone. It's cool I believe the original lightning bolt inlay guitar is one of the guitars Angus used in the later 70's. The first one he had was in rough shape and the truss rod snapped off and Jaydee restored the guitar and then also ended up making him a guitar too.

http://jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/angus_young.html

As for the Neck pickup he did this in the 70's as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-aQlhrE9Ks

I have not had the opportunity to see them on the Black Ice tour, but I did see them live for the first time 3rd row just off to the left side of the stage on the Ball Breaker tour back in 96 and WOW what a show!! It is definitely a show I will never forget. As far as the SG goes, I remember him playing a red-ish color SG with trapezoid in lays and I don't recall him changing or tuning his guitar. In fact he kept his guitar when he did his stripping routine as well.

Shawn

Archived