Gibson Brands Forums

Are we "big kids"

Johnt

Was sitting yesterday miinding my own business and doing a little posting.

Wife walks past, looks over my shoulder and asks what I am doing.

I show her tail end of thread re tortoise picks and "witty" banter we were exchanging

and her only comment was " you big kid", she said it with a smile on her face and "with love" but it made me think

1.Should I have been surfing "Naughty nuns meet hotrod drivers"?

If so what would have been her response?

2.What if she finds this link in my favorites?

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Acoustic/Modern%20Classics/Super%20Jumbos/SJ-300/

3.What if I am a big kid, it's harmless and all men think they're Peter Pan!

What thinkest thou?

Any similar experiences with spouse?

Happy Days!

John :-k

My wife loves all my guitars, at least the ones I let her see.

I do hear from her. Did you buy another new guitar, After it's been sitting in my office for about a month.

"What guitar honey are you talking about" as her eyes roll up over her glasses

she will say, "your just like a big kid with to many toys"

1. Naughty Nuns and Hot Rod Drivers was a B movie from 1958 and starred Jayne Mansfield and Rory Calhoun. I have it on VHS but the release in DVD is being held up by the estate of Elvis Presley; seems the theme song, "Wear my Rosary (around your neck)" bears a resemblance to an old Elvis song.

2. When you "add to favorites" rename it something that is innocent-looking at won't pique her curiosity. So instead of the link appearing as "SJ300 the price of a used SUV" it could display as "Naughty Nuns and Hot Rod Drivers".

3. The last time I saw an male adult claiming to be Peter Pan was Raymond Bailey as Milburn Drysdale on the Beverly Hillbillies after ingesting some of Grannie's Rheumatiz Medicine, prancing across the front lawn in slow motion while Miss Jane looked on, leaning against her always-brand-new Dodge convertible with no windshield (ergo no lighting glare). How did she drive a new convertible every year while working for the "Chief" anyway? Methinks she was embezzling so she could open a prep school for future female Phys Ed teachers.

Yes, we're all big kids and we either buy toys or act silly and talk nonsense. I do both. My wife is fine with my behavior. If she gets a little short with me, she just has a smoke with her little brass pipe and then all of a sudden my jokes are funny again.

I have told my wife on many occasions that the only reason I have all these guitars is because "god said I can only have one wife".

I have also bought the T-shirt that says"Love one woman- many guitars". I make sure that I wear at band practice and when her friends are around.

She knows where I am at all times-fooling around with guitars or something related to guitars; so even though she complains and may roll her eyes; I think she's OK with it.

Regards,

Tom

Aging is inevitable. Growing up is optional! Naughty nuns indeed! Johnt, you should be ashamed of yourself watching the likes of that when you could better spend your time playing "Prisoner and Warden's Wife." And to answer your question, yes, we are just kids at heart. Also, wasn't Peter Pan a wash baisen of some sort?

Johnt' date=' you should be ashamed of yourself watching the likes of that when you could better spend your time playing "Prisoner and Warden's Wife." And to answer your question, yes, we are just kids at heart. Also, wasn't Peter Pan a wash baisen of some sort? [/quote']

Scroll up and you will surely find that ksdaddy (bless him) has extricated me from the excrement already on that subject. I am STUNNED that a gent of your calibre read something else into the title.

In fact Ksdaddy you get my prize for a FAR, FAR better response than the original thread!

Love it!

And as for Dr Toms retort

I have told my wife on many occasions that the only reason I have all these guitars is because "god said I can only have one wife".

I have also bought the T-shirt that says"Love one woman- many guitars". I make sure that I wear at band practice and when her friends are around.

Do they do the T-Shirt in XL?

Br

John

I told my wife the day I met her that I live like a kid. I say I am 14 with 30 years' experience.

If you watch kids, you see that they mostly enjoy life, tend to do what they feel like doing instead of what others expect of them and are less cynical than most adults.

Nothing wrong with living like a kid.

I told my wife the day I met her that I live like a kid. I say I am 14 with 30 years' experience.

If you watch kids' date=' you see that they mostly enjoy life, tend to do what they feel like doing instead of what others expect of them and are less cynical than most adults.

Nothing wrong with living like a kid.[/quote']

Ain't that the truth!

johnt...

Beautiful dog!

Would that be an Irish wolfhound?

I also see you are in Kent. I was going to move to Tunbridge Wells ( The Pantiles ) a few

years back....I love that area.

Yes that's Lily our 2nd and most neurotic Irish Wolfhound, we also have a saliki X ( Mix in US) Lurcher and rough coat Jack Russell called Fred who rules the roost.

We live in Ashford (known locally a Trashford) which you probably know is about 27 miles from Tunbridge Wells.

my fascination with all things musical and guitars in particular, is as intense at age 53 as it was the first time i heard the beatles when i was a 10 year old kid. the only difference is, i now have some skills with a guitar and better toys. but, the sense of joy and satisfaction i have with a guitar in my hands or in the presence of a great player is no different now than from those days long ago. so, if keeping a youthful heart and soul through one's connection to music means i'm a big kid, then i'll cop to that! it's time for my nap now. and then, of course, my bottle!

cheers!

I have to agree with The Chairman of the Board on this one:

Fairy tales can come true, it can happen to you,

If you're young at heart.

For its hard, you will find, to be narrow of mind,

You can go to extremes with impossible schemes.

You can laugh when your dreams fall apart at the seams.

And life gets more exciting each and every day,

And love is either in your heart or on its way!

Don't you know that its worth every treasure on earth

To be young at heart?

For as rich as you are its much better by far

To be young at heart.

And if you should survive to 105, look at all you'll derive from being alive!

And here is the best part, you'll have a head start,

If you are among the very young at heart!

Uncle Buck

I have to agree with The Chairman of the Board on this one:

Fairy tales can come true' date=' it can happen to you,

For its hard, you will find, to be narrow of mind,

You can go to extremes with impossible schemes.

You can laugh when your dreams fall apart at the seams.

And life gets more exciting each and every day,

And love is either in your heart or on its way!

Don't you know that its worth every treasure on earth

To be young at heart?

For as rich as you are its much better by far

To be young at heart.

And if you should survive to 105, look at all you'll derive from being alive!

And here is the best part, you'll have a head start,

If you are among the very young at heart!

Uncle Buck[/quote']

Do you happen to have the chords to that? Can't blame a strummer for trying! =D>

I listen to Frank, but mostly play and sing country music with a round shoulder Country Western (before the CW became like Sheryl Crow's guitar), and only occasionally dabble in jazz. My voice is more like Waylon's than Frank's.

But you can get the chords here:

http://www.sheetmusicdirect.us/search/productDetail.do?itemId=1000022136

Looking at it, I'd transpose it down a step and a half, so that Bb is played as G, etcetera, then you can capo back up if you want. That'll let you use easier chord shapes and make some of the more esoteric chords easier to find and fret. Good luck.

Uncle Buck

A beautiful song for the guitar covered by Sinatra is Summer Wind.

The summer wind came blowin' in

From across the sea

It lingered there to touch your hair

And walk with me

All summer long

we sang a song

And then we strolled that golden sand

Two sweethearts and the summer wind

Like painted kites, those days and nights

They went flying by

The world was new beneath the blue

Umbrella sky

Then softer than a piper man

One day, it called to you

I lost you I lost you to

The summer wind

The autumn wind

And the winter winds

They have come and gone

And still those days

Those lonely days

They go on and on

And guess who’s sigh`s

His lullabies through nights that never end

My fickled friend,

The summer wind

The summer wind warm summer wind

Mmm the summer wind

Summer Wind is possibly my favorite Sinatra song. I had a crush on his daughter when I was six but I digress. Come to think of it I have a crush on her at 47.

He did a tv special in '65 and I have it on tape somewhere. Could be fuzzy memory but seems like he did many of his "best" on that show. It was in black and white, everyone had skinny ties and hair by Vitalis. I can smell the booze and cigarettes from here....

Yes !!! Sinatra's Summer Wind is one of those songs that when it comes on .....

I sing the entire thing with snapping fingers, full emphasis and my best Frank singing voice.....I know all the words. My Wife will immediately roll her eyes like ....oh oh ....here he goes again.

Of course a few lines in and most of the time the Wife joins me on the chorus .....

No we aren't kids at heart

Summer Wind is possibly my favorite Sinatra song. I had a crush on his daughter when I was six but I digress. Come to think of it I have a crush on her at 47.

He did a tv special in '65 and I have it on tape somewhere. Could be fuzzy memory but seems like he did many of his "best" on that show. It was in black and white' date=' everyone had skinny ties and hair by Vitalis. I can smell the booze and cigarettes from here....[/quote']

I'm a sucker for Sinatra as is my wife... I sang two songs to my wife at our wedding (w/acoustic gutiitar of course - and the Irish band we hired backed nicely). Summer Wind was and is my favorite....

Yes !!! Sinatra's Summer Wind is one of those songs that when it comes on .....

I sing the entire thing with snapping fingers' date=' full emphasis and my best Frank singing voice.....I know all the words. My Wife will immediately roll her eyes like ....oh oh ....here he goes again.

Of course a few lines in and most of the time the Wife joins me on the chorus .....

No we aren't kids at heart [/quote']

Ahh the best of times.... O:)

Archived