Gibson Brands Forums

Checking to see if I made a fair deal on a J-50ADJ

theboogins

Bought a J50ADJ at an estate sale. Supposedly a 68, owned by an 87 year old man, hadn't been out of the case for 20 years he said. I'd almost that it had the original strings on it because whoever strung it, it looked like a factory job.

Not a sratch on the back whatosever. A couple of finish imperfections on the top and and the front, the pickguard looks almost new only a handfull of light scratches.

Serial number 522020, couldn't find a direct match at the Gibson sight.

Any guesses as to the value?

Thanks.

John

Any chance you can post some photos? The serial number you list seems to fall within the range of serial numbers for a 1968. The Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars don't show a value for a 1968, but they do list a 1969 J-50 at $1500-1750 for excellent condition and $825-950 for average condition.

What would concern me would be the condition, if it actually had been kept in the case for so long. Which part of the country did it come from? Somewhere with high or low humidity?

It's been in GA all it's life. This thing is really in terrific condition-I tuned it up and it plays and sounds great. I had a J-45 a long time ago and this one plays just like it. In my opinion it's in terrific condition. I has no scratches on the back, only a couple of tiny scratches on the pick guard. No fret wear. No cracks of any kind. There is one ding on the front like maybe someone dropped something on it or maybe it fell at one point, not into the wood that I can tell. There a a couple of other finish imperfections but none affect the playability. Pretty good find it seems to me.

thanks.

John

It's been in GA all it's life. This thing is really in terrific condition-I tuned it up and it plays and sounds great. I had a J-45 a long time ago and this one plays just like it. In my opinion it's in terrific condition. I has no scratches on the back' date=' only a couple of tiny scratches on the pick guard. No fret wear. No cracks of any kind. There is one ding on the front like maybe someone dropped something on it or maybe it fell at one point, not into the wood that I can tell. There a a couple of other finish imperfections but none affect the playability. Pretty good find it seems to me.

thanks.

John[/quote']

It sounds like you got a good one. I'd just check the top to make sure it hasn't swollen or dropped. It doesn't sound like they did much to control the humidity level, if it was cased the entire time. It the top checks out, then you should be good to go.

The numbers are stamped on the back of the headstock but does not say "made in the USA" anywhere. I took a penlight an looked all around inside the sound hole but found nothing else. I must say that it plays and stays in tune like a dream, even with what look to be electric guitar strings on them.

I found one sort of interesting confirming evidence of it's age. I opened the accessories box in the case and there was nothing in there but a guitar pick. On close examination, it is a Mosrite guitar pick. I don't know for sure but I remember Mosrites from the late 60's but gone in the 70's. Heck, the pick is probably worth a little something on its on.

I'm going to take it to a luthier for valuation.

Thanks.

John

Archived