Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Junior Club

truetone6

Gibson called these, discontinued models, "Junior Lites!" Although...technically,

I think they're more "Specials," as they are 2-pickup versions.

But...since they were monikered "Junior's"....Here they are:

DSC_0016-2.jpg

DSC_0017-1.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

Both, had TP-6 tail pieces, and Tulip tuners installed...(Gold, on the Black one, obviously)...

Othewise, they're "Stock!"

CB

• 1 month later...

This post brings back the memories. The second guitar I owned was a 55

LP Jr. It also had the original finish removed and was stained walnut. I

had it painted white and put a Mini Humbucker in. Fit perfectly with no

routing. The P90 fed back to much into my Ampeg VT40 and V-4 amps.

I still have the P90 but traded the Jr. for a Ibenez Rocket Roll.

CW

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all, my son has eyes for a les paul junior in vintage sunburst to go with his epi g400, should he do it??? We can get one new for a very good price from the nice folks he bought the epi from, all advice and opinions gratefully accepted,

thanks for taking the time to read this

Hey there,

To me, no Gibson collection would be complete without a "junior" in it. They have a unique and distinct sound; however, that being said.....

I am also into "variety" and having the flexibility to play a huge range of songs. To me, this means owning at least one Les Paul (Standard, Custom, Historic....doesn't matter.), one Junior and maybe, if money allows, SG or other cool and unique Gibson (ie: Firebird, V etc.).

This list, to me, has to include a Fender (Strat & Tele), any Gretsch semi-hollow "rock-a-billy" tone guitar and a 12 string electric.

I know this may come across wrong; however, you asked a very good and honest question....so I thought that I would give you my honest answer.

My opinion: If you only have limited funds, you may want a more "versatile" guitar to get it started. Although the Junior has a killer tone....it is just that. One tone (or a bit more with 2 pick up's).

Just my 2Cents

Steve

Hi all' date=' my son has eyes for a les paul junior in vintage sunburst to go with his epi g400, should he do it??? We can get one new for a very good price from the nice folks he bought the epi from, all advice and opinions gratefully accepted,

thanks for taking the time to read this[/quote']

Hey there,

To me, no Gibson collection would be complete without a "junior" in it. They have a unique and distinct sound which I love and use a lot in my cover band; however, that being said.....

I am also into "variety" and having the flexibility to play a huge range of songs. To me, this means owning at least one Les Paul (Standard, Custom, Historic....doesn't matter.), one Junior and maybe, if money allows, SG or other cool and unique Gibson (ie: Firebird, V etc.).

This list, to me, has to include a Fender (Strat & Tele), any Gretsch semi-hollow "rock-a-billy" tone guitar and a 12 string electric.

I know this may come across wrong; however, you asked a very good and honest question....so I thought that I would give you my honest answer.

My opinion: If you only have limited funds like most of us (I am old and started buying guitars a long time ago.), you may want a more "versatile" guitar to start filling out his collection. Although the Junior has a killer tone...a really killer tone......it is just that.....one basic tone (or a bit more with 2 pick up's). I might be looking for a nice Les Paul Standard in a cool sunburst finish since you mentioned the Junior's sunburst.

Just my 2Cents

Steve

Hey there' date='

To me, no Gibson collection would be complete without a "junior" in it. They have a unique and distinct sound which I love and use a lot in my cover band; however, that being said.....

My opinion: If you only have limited funds like most of us (I am old and started buying guitars a long time ago.), you may want a more "versatile" guitar to start filling out his collection. Although the Junior has a killer tone...a really killer tone......it is just that.....one basic tone (or a bit more with 2 pick up's). I might be looking for a nice Les Paul Standard in a cool sunburst finish since you mentioned the Junior's sunburst.

Just my 2Cents

Steve

[/quote']

thanks very much for the reply, much appreciated

just bought a 58 reissue junior in vintage sunburst

definately best guitar I've ever owned and one of the nicest I've played

buy one

they are excellent value - sound great - it's a real Gibson!

lot more sounds than one tone can be coaxed out of it

set amp to stun - use guitar volume pot to adjust - about 6 for rythym - 10 for lead

tone pot changes character of p90

stripped down features make you a better player

buy one

• 1 month later...

I'll get a pic of my Junior up soon. Just wanted to share a comment made by a friend who came to a gig and saw me playing the Junior:

"I like the way that that guitar just lets you concentrate on your playing. I'm sick of seeing guys fiddling with nobs and switches all the time. They end up not getting any music played."

My own take on the Junior?

Dirty, cranky, rude, obnoxious and utterly utterly addictive!

Cheers

Tony

P9250657.jpg

My 2009 Junior.

Hey there, do you find the ac4 and the LPJ are a good couple? We have half the equation with the ac4 and plan on the lpj asap but just wanted your thoughts on the combination, on paper it seems like a great pairing.

thanks,

Hey there' date=' do you find the ac4 and the LPJ are a good couple? We have half the equation with the ac4 and plan on the lpj asap but just wanted your thoughts on the combination, on paper it seems like a great pairing.

thanks,[/quote']

You'll find the P90 VERY bright in comparison to a humbucker. Given that the AC4 is bright by default you'll need to balance it out. At the end of the day, it's whatever floats your boat. My gigging amps are 'Rivera Era' Fenders (Concert 410/Deluxe Reverb II) which are also bright so I have the Junior's tone pot on about 8. Hope this helps. BTW I love the AC4!