Gibson Brands Forums

J45RW vs Southern Jumbo

Guia

I have a Maui Wowie and want to get either a J45RW' date=' or Southern Jumbo. From what I have been told the SJ is an upgraded J45? What confuses me is what is meant by "Upgraded", fret inlay?[/quote']

WOW, a Maui Wowie? I'm jealous. Can you post some photos some time? I'd love to see it. How does it sound?

Yes, the Southern Jumbo is basically a spruced up J-45. It has different fret inlays, headstock inlay, and pickguard. The best thing for you to do is to go to the Gibson website and pull up each model. You can then compare the specs on each one. They should sound pretty close to the same.

most SJs are hog back/sides' date=' so it might be apples and oranges comparing the J45RW and the SJ. there's a RW SJ on elderly instruments site right now. best of both worlds! happy hunting.[/quote']

You are very correct. I read right past the "RW" portion of his post.

I have checked the measurements of both, there is no difference. However, I have found descriptions of the SJ being upgraded, referring to more hardy than the J45. I have assumed that this means different bracing, but have found nothing that substaniates this assumption.

Some descriptions state that "the SJ was created because Southerners wanted a more sturdy guitar (J45).

no, no, an sj is a j45 with a "southern" look, just like a j50 is a j45 with a natural look. sj have a bound fret board, and a different number of binding layers on the body, which should not effect the sound, but are otherwise identical.

the advanced jumbo (aj) is the one with forward shifted bracing so the bridge can vibrate the top a little more.

Differences between the J-45 and the Southern Jumbo are purely cosmetic. They are the same except for fretboard and headstock inlay, pickguard, and neck binding. If they are made of the same wood, they should sound the same.

The J-45 RW will sound different than a Hog SJ or J-45, simply because it uses a different tonewood. Whether it's better or not is a matter of opinion.

most SJs are hog back/sides' date=' so it might be apples and oranges comparing the J45RW and the SJ. there's a RW SJ on elderly instruments site right now. best of both worlds! happy hunting.[/quote']

Agree. Most KOA's I've played and heard tend to be a cross between Mahogany and Cherry, and a tinge of brightness on the top end.

Thingthatisdone

Ah! that is the answer I was looking for. Some subtle difference in construction. Thanks.

Yep, and you really need to stand in front of one as it's being played to really hear the differences of the top that vibrates a bit more... I'm in the camp that most of the difference while existant with the bracing on the tops, I am more driven by the woods in use overall.

Agree. Most KOA's I've played and heard tend to be a cross between Mahogany and Cherry' date=' and a tinge of brightness on the top end.[/quote']

I've never played a cherry, but would like to some day. My Koa J-45 sounds like a cross between mahogany and rosewood to my ears. I would have thought that cherry would be closer to the mahogany end of things.

Archived