Gibson Brands Forums

The Guitar Dater Project

daveinspain

The Guitar Dater project never worked for me. Every time I plugged in a serial number it would say;

Serial number unrecognized

Your guitar may have been made prior to 1977, in that case you may need to use the Vintage Panel, simply select all the options that best describe your guitar. If you are still having difficulties please contact the webmaster.

So I thought i would give it another try with some of my newer purchases... Found out some cool stuff such as:

Reb Blueshawk

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

September 18th, 1997

Production Number: 259

I was born in the night of that day which was Sept, 19th at 2:00 in the morning.... Very cool

Black Blueshawk

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

September 28th, 1998

Production Number: 1

Also born in September but production number 1.... That's kinda cool too....

But I still get the "Your guitar may have been made prior to 1977" on most of my other guitars... Doesn't like anything made after 2007.... Go figure....

I have tried out that website in the past with the same results. I think the best route for obtaining information about Gibson guitars is just to call them up. They are open 24/7. One time I called them up to settle a bet over a guitar when me and my buddy were drunk at around 2 am; they are extremely helpful. Being an academic, I can tell you that there is also a huge benefit to good ol' fashioned dedicated research instead of just looking to one source for knowledge.

And the accuracy is likely more dependable.

Of course, I've found huge gaps in their records as well.

They dumped a lot of info over the years.

I've had them tell me on a couple guitars "Yep, it's one of ours" and nothing more.

I have three gibsons....

Oldest is a Jubilee, SN 886088 it dated it to "about 1968" Which is right.

Dove is 72189005 - easy to do without looking.

Doves In Flight is 02653013 - again, easy to do without looking

But.... it worked for me!

I went into my local Gibson dealer Alpha Music and put down $600 and had them order my Raw Power SG on the 26th of AUG 09......

And my guitar was stamped the next day on the 27th. I got it in about 3 or 4 weeks.

Archived