Gibson Brands Forums

Close Encounter of the AJ Kind!

TWilson

I made a big mistake yesterday. I took a drive south to Eugene through the farmland just for a nice drive on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. In light of my current fragile state due to multiple G.A.S. attacks, this trip shold never have occured. I stopped at Guitar Center, headed straight for the acoustic room and hoped there would be an SJ-200 there to take for a little test drive. Nope,none there. I did play a Songwriter, Hummingbird Artist, a beautiful little L-1 that looked brand new but listed as used ($1400) J-45 (mine sounds better), Taylor 814 maple, Marti HD28, D41 and also a Gibson Advanced-by-God-Jumbo RW. I just happened to have one of my new Clayton Ultem .72mm picks in my shirt pocket and proceded to strum a few chords. I came back and played this AJ 4 or 5 times before I left and I must say I now fully understand what you AJ owners are talking about. The AJ just blew away every other guitar that I touched. Now my mind is completely twisted!! AJ, SJ-200, SJ150, J-185!!! If anyone has a RW AJ and a maple SJ-200 I'd love it if you could give me a little compare/contrast on the two. I was really impressed. I could feel my Mastercard twitching in my wallet. I had to head quickly over to The Cooler by Autzen stadium, our watering hole on game days, to have a brewski and allow myself to settle back down. I need to re-enter my inert-I'm-not-thinking-of-guitars state!! A-a-a-a--r-r-r-r-g-g-g--h-h-h-h!!!

I have a maple J-150 and a R/W AJ. If I were to give them nicknames the J-150 would be "Strummy" and the AJ would be "Picker." I find the J-150 to be the more versatile instrument. Sweet and full bodied. Perfect for singing over. But the AJ can't be beat for specific applications. Love it for bluegrass picking.

So what are you looking for? A specific sound or versatility?

Let me get this straight..... you took a drive to Eugene (where you know there's a music store) with a guitar pick in your pocket (well looky there!). I'd say you were lookin' for trouble in all the right places!!

Dear, dear Karen, now you know as well as I that Freudian slips occur from time to time and that guitar players are not exempt from this phenomena! ( That's my story......................) I lost a girlfriend because of this phemomena once. I intended to say, " Wow, that dress really looks good on you" but instead I said, " You over-controlling witch, you've ruined my life." The guitar pick in the pocket, trip to Eugene, was the second time it happened! lol

Buy it.

You know you wanna.

You'll regret it if you don't.

In fact someone else is probably playing her right now!

It's only money.

It's what you work so hard for.

You've earned it.

Go ahead.

It's a short drive.

It'll make your day.

It'll looks so good in your collection.

If you buy this one, you won't need to buy another one for a while.

You deserve it.

You ain't back yet?

Yeah, you're the Good Devil.

Let see... 2 G7th Capos ,Intel Tuner and Several Guitar's from Todd, At Guitar's Etc in Colorado, because of Mike

Several Road trips to Bozeman because of Mike. One for Homecoming,one to buy some property.

Yeah, you're the Good Devil All right.

Yeah' date=' you're the Good Devil.

Let see... 2 G7th Capos ,Intel Tuner and Several Guitar's from Todd, At Guitar's Etc in Colorado, because of Mike

Several Road trips to Bozeman because of Mike. One for Homecoming,one to buy some property.

Yeah, you're the Good Devil All right.

[/quote']

Do I sense a bit of hostility? Must be "your" bad devil trying to influence you. LOL

Let me get this straight..... you took a drive to Eugene (where you know there's a music store) with a guitar pick in your pocket (well looky there!). I'd say you were lookin' for trouble in all the right places!!

LOL! We're all gluttons for punishment, aren't we?!;)

Do I sense a bit of hostility? Must be "your" bad devil trying to influence you. LOL

None, from me you're always a Good Devil to me. My Wife is the one who has the hostility, Because I listen to you.

As a Matter of fact, My new nickname for you is Devil # 1.

If anybody wants to be a Devil, see Mike. Mike will assign you a number, I'll be Devil #2 if thats alright with you Mike.

Hi TWilson-

I have an EIR J-200 and an EIR Advanced Jumbo (AJ for sale on this forum...). The J-200 is Adirondack and the AJ is Sitka. I would say that the J200 is a more refined sound... not as loud, believe it or not, very balanced, very musical and not overly aggressive. Performs equally well for lead, strumming or fingerpicking. The AJ has quite different characteristics... a more raw sound, in my opinion, loud, aggressive tone very much suited to bluegrass or any type of acoustic lead, really. I don't find myself liking it much as a strummer, but that's an opinion that others will probably differ with. Surprisingly, though, I think it does rather well as a fingerpicker... you don't have to do too much to get good volume out of it.

Hope this helps!

Hi TWilson-

I have an EIR J-200 and an EIR Advanced Jumbo (AJ for sale on this forum...). The J-200 is Adirondack and the AJ is Sitka. I would say that the J200 is a more refined sound... not as loud' date=' believe it or not, very balanced, very musical and not overly aggressive. Performs equally well for lead, strumming or fingerpicking. The AJ has quite different characteristics... a more raw sound, in my opinion, loud, aggressive tone very much suited to bluegrass or any type of acoustic lead, really. I don't find myself liking it much as a strummer, but that's an opinion that others will probably differ with. Surprisingly, though, I think it does rather well as a fingerpicker... you don't have to do too much to get good volume out of it.

Hope this helps![/quote']

All this talk of devils....I reckin Eddie might on commission from our Lucifer friend (fiend,Fried??)

Wny don't you take TWilson to a hill show him your AJ etc etc?

Alternatively post a pic...he won't resist that! And of course in the best "selling" tradition you know he wants to buy so add a zero!

I am with GillianGirl. I think TWilson wemt on a PLANNED SORTIE and "he doth protest too much"

Buy the Damned thing, if you are out of the J200 market the rest of us may get a lookin!

JohnT wrote: I am with GillianGirl. I think TWilson wemt on a PLANNED SORTIE and "he doth protest too much"

Circumstancial evidence at best, mate! That pick could have been in my pocket through two wash cycles! IF, and I mean IF, I had perchance headed in that direction with some subliminal mental force guiding me, it would have been to clutch an SJ-200 to my breast and strum and pick it until it either grabbed me or pushed me in another direction. The Advanced Jumbo was a complete and unexpected ambush throwing the mental monkey wrench into the fray. When I saw Eddie Rondack's sale item on the heels of my dilemma, I swear I could smell the sulphor burning and hear the hinges of Hell opening wide for me in my weakest hour!! OK, that's my NEW story and I'm sticking with this one for at least 24 hours. lol

Archived