Gibson Brands Forums

Rythmic acoustic play vs breaks

Howdy all:

I am new to guitars. I HAVe played banjo for 20 plus years, but have always been a "porch picker"as in RARELY having played with other musicians. I am interested in learning more about playing rythym acoustic guitar. My timing is impecable-as the few others I have played with, over the years have told me when I pick banjo. I understand that most rythym guitarists play up over or near the neck-giving a much mellower sound (same as banjo). But just WHAT does the rythym guitarist actually do, besides drive the rythym (when there is no drummer)? And do they EVER take a "lead break"?

Besides the above, let me say that you guitarists have a bunch of "weird" positions for your chords[cool] . 5 string bluegrass banjo in its "natural" tuning is a "G" chord. And the rest of chords are way simpler on banjo. Learning new chord positions on a wider necked instrument is hard, and I HOPE my fingers will get use to it. (How Emily Saliers changes mid song from banjo to 6 string electric guitar is really blowing my mind right now-Shame on you is the tune I am referring to). I mean different necks, thicknesses, widths, chord patterns etc.

Can anyone recommend any good VIDEOS (not youtube, as my internet is down at home and at work they restrict access to such websites) for purchase.

Thanks,

Janice

Archived