Gibson Brands Forums

Installing a Strap Plug.

harmonicchaos

You might want to check out the below link. If you haven't done it before, you might consider taking it to someone to have it professionally installed, as it is possible to split the neck if you do it incorrectly. Most places only charge around $10.00 to install one.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/StrapButton/strapbutton1.html

I recently got a new dove and i wanted to know the best way to go about installing a strap plug (the one next to the neck).

Thanks

If you decide to install it yourself, probably the most important thing (other than the location) is to make sure that you predrill the hole. If you don't, the chances of splitting the neck greatly increases. Also, make sure you install a felt washer between the bottom of the button and the wood of the neck. And remember, if you mess it up, the warranty won't cover it.

Frets.com site says that some Flat top Gibsons have added some wood, probably a

block inside the guitar on the bass side of the neck. This allows a button to be added

by screwing through the guitar side in the same geographic location as a Les Paul.

Take a peek and see if it's in there. That'd be my chosen spot. I've a guit tar I plan

to install a button in this very spot, but I need to add a block of wood first. And, they

probably used wood not so prone to splitting like Maple and Mahogany.

Don't forget to ask Gibson, either through your dealer or through this site...

.... somewheres :-k

I guess it's "to each his own", but I wouldn't ever want to install a strap button into the side of a guitar. I would also think that if you ever wanted to remove it and try to fill in the hole, it would be much easier to do in the neck than in the side of the guitar. But like I said, it's a personal choice. You do see them installed in all kinds of whacky places, even on the upper back of the the guitar. I also think that most luthiers suggest installing them on the neck, if you are going to install one.

I want to chime in my agreement with people who are suggesting you take it to a pro. Your insurance won't cover a mistake - theirs will.

I work with wood and tools all day and I always take my instruments in to have a luthier install the strap pin.

It is a good idea to settle on a strap before you pick the pin. Some straps have holes that are a bit tight for those conical strap pins - so it makes sense to have the whole kit put together at the same time.

Archived