Gibson Brands Forums

Orville vs Gibson (Les Paul Standard)

danakadoofy

I was wondering how you guys would rate Orville versus it's big brother Gibson on the Les Paul Standard. I just purchased a 1996 Orville (not an Orville by Gibson) Les Paul Standard. I think this baby sings perfectly, but that's just my own personal opinion.

Is it true how collectible Orville's are becoming? Someone told me that they can get up into the price range of Gibsons sometimes, is this true?

Orvilles are great guitars, get some new pots and caps and maybe some different pups and it'll be even better. Orville by Gibsons on the other hand are amazing, long tennon, nitro finish, CTS and swithchcraft electronics and Gibson USA Pickups. I have had a couple of these, I only sold them because I was offered silly money. If you can find any pre-historic RIs snap 'em up because they are going to be worth a LOT of money soon. One of my biggest regrets is selling my OBG Custom, I sold it for 50% more than I paid for it, the prices are sky rocketing.

hthgrhg.bmphghg.jpg

vdf.jpg

Yep, people are snapping up OBGs at the moment, there are less coming on to the market all the time, once they have all been stashed people will go after Orvilles. To give you some idea how good they are, the Orville line became the Epiphone Elitist line, the Orville by Gibson line was never replaced as Gibson USA wanted to push their own stuff in Japan. Does your Orville have the serial stamped on? If it is on a sticker or it has no serial it is Korean made and no where near as good. Post some pics.

Just wanted to second AS90's opinion-I've got an Orville by Gibson Firebird, and although there is one major difference with a Gibson Firebird, the neck is set rather than "through the body," it is an excellent guitar, with Gibson USA pickups and first class workmanship. I've owned several 60's Gibsons and also have a '67 Firebird-the OBG is IMHO in the same class as its US made brethren.

Archived