Gibson Brands Forums

Banjo Uke On "Pawn Stars"

Murph

Would have loved to have seen it. I actually have an old "Maybelle" banjo uke from the 1920's. My Uncle played in a banjo band around Detroit. When he died I was given his banjo uke. It is a fun instrument and I learned how to tune and play it. I don't pick it up much anymore, but it is always in my music room. I would love to have seen a Gibson Banjo Uke.... I never knew Gibson even made them.

My Uncle hand made a wood resonator for the back to throw the sound forward due to the lack of microphones in those days.

I have posted these before I think, but in case anyone want's to know what a "Banjo Uke" looks like.......

(I also know the bridge in this photo is not placed correctly, but you get the idea)

PICT4075.jpg

PICT4076.jpg

PICT4074.jpg

PICT4071.jpg

Our local music store has one in with a brass body. No logo but it looks like a Regal or Stromgberg Vosinet headstock probably from the teens or early 20s.

Since they make strings for those that you can tune in fifths, I was thinking about buying it and playing it like a mandolin.

I guess I'm the only one on the forum who sees these regularly! Banjo Ukes and their cousins have made lots of inroads into the old time fiddle tune crowd. They're great assets when played well.

Here's a clip -

I have a banjolin I planned to try to swap for guitar stuff... Yup designed for 8 strings just like a mandolin.

Made some emails and then opened the case. Oops. The old calfskin head had given up the ghost.

So... I dunno what to do with the thing. Hate to see the body and neck go to waste...

Any ideas?

m

I have a banjolin I planned to try to swap for guitar stuff... Yup designed for 8 strings just like a mandolin.

Made some emails and then opened the case. Oops. The old calfskin head had given up the ghost.

So... I dunno what to do with the thing. Hate to see the body and neck go to waste...

Any ideas?

m

Hey Milod.... that happend to my Banjo Uke shortly after I got it. It was a lambskin from what I was told. I took it to a local Drum shop where they were able to do the repair and used an authentic goat skin used for drum heads. Worked awesome and still looked vintage when it was complete.

Paul...

Local drum shop? <grin>

Well... I've a hunch minneapolis may be the closest.

It's still sittin' in the case with me feeling guilty.

Hmmmm.

m

It may be from SD...... The name of the place I used was "Thompson's Drum Shop". They were in Downtown Minneapolis but I am not sure if they are still there.

Paul...

The advantage to living in the literal center of the US is that it's wide open spaces with little or no congestion from people. The disadvantage is... not much in the way of specialty stores and craftsmen.

m

Archived