Gibson Brands Forums

Any Basses You Parted With, And Wish You Haden't?

sgbass

I had a 1969 EB0 that I bought new just before graduating

high school. That was a real mistake. Not to long a go, I

parted with an SG Std. Heritage Cherry. That was a really

big mistake.

I notice that yesterday you'd just gotten another

new SG. Jeeeziz, Dewd .... try not to go for the

hat trick. Times is hard .... and I do hope you're

never forced to do that again !

`

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a G&L SB-2 that I would have liked to have kept. But the SB-2 got me back to the SG Std. again. A good sacrifice I think. 34" Scale gets a little too long for small hands an short fingers.

• 6 months later...

I had a 1969 EB0 that I bought new just before graduating high school. That was a real mistake. Not to long a go, I parted with an SG Std. Heritage Cherry. That was a really big mistake.

I'm never selling my SG Bass...I'm never selling my SG Bass...I'm never selling my SG Bass...(unless I need the money for a Gibson '61 EB-3 Reissue that comes out someday!).

I'm never selling my SG Bass...I'm never selling my SG Bass...I'm never selling my SG Bass...(unless I need the money for a Gibson '61 EB-3 Reissue that comes out someday!).

You're a bad influence on the weak minded. Are you a Jedi Knight? :unsure:

I sold a 1977 Fender Musicmaster Bass to get a 1980 fireglow Rickenbacker. Purchased the Rick new for $600 at Guitar Trader in Red Bank, NJ. By my second year in college I was running low on funds and sold it back to Guitar Trader in about 1983 for the exact price I purchased the bass, $600. I miss both the Musicmaster and Rick but really miss the Rick. I would never be able to afford one now. *sigh*

Taking a trip in the Way-Back Machine to the 70's - I traded a mid-sixties sonic-blue Jazz Bass in on a '71 maple glo Ric. That blue Jazz Bass is worth a fortune now (probably rare 'cause everybody stripped that ugly blue paint off), but I really miss the Ric! I don't even remember what I traded it in for. Someday, I would like another Ric, but I have a hard time spending that kind of money unless it say "Gibson" on it.

When I was young I just couldn't afford to own more than one bass at a time. I think we made about $40.00 a night back then, and there wasn't much left over for equipment.[unsure]

• 1 year later...

Early 70s' Ripper, great tone and ease of playing. Traded it on a Rick ](*,) an uncomfortable bass imo.

I had a 4003 that I used to get back to my SG Std. I don't miss the 4003 a bit. For my old back, the SG Std. is just right.

For me, my first musicman stingray 5. Being my first proper bass and I let it go quite cheap at the time, just as the recession hit the UK. There was a bit of wear as i bought this second hand and imported from the states with minor faults with it but still played better than any bass I had.Its just one those times where I had finished college, unemployed and desperate for some money to get by and everything had to go.Now the bass is in Poland, I doubt I'll see this again :(

BSB

Also, I had a Squier VM fretless which I loved but didn't get on with the plastic fretboard but just one hell of a bass which I payed full whack for once it was released, close to £400 if not more but once again, went cheap and with regret.

BSB

I had a 4003 that I used to get back to my SG Std. I don't miss the 4003 a bit.

gsg, i can understand that. For me the Rick was like resting my arm on a countertop edge (the body binding). I did use it later on to trade on to a musicman stingray. Now that's another one that got away. [blink]

gsg, i can understand that. For me the Rick was like resting my arm on a countertop edge (the body binding). I did use it later on to trade on to a musicman stingray. Now that's another one that got away. [blink]

You sound a bit, or maybe a lot like me. [thumbup]

I have never owned a Ric, but I have played a few. I didn't understand the love those things generate or the dislike some people have for them. The two or three I have played over the years just seemed like nice instruments, but otherwise completely forgettable. My EB-2 can sound like a Ric if I want it to, and most people don't know what it is. The P-Bass has its own sound that's a little unfortunate alone but perfect in a mix. The 'Bird is my freak instrument since it is fretless and will have Alumatone pickups and assorted other weirdness that have nothing to do with how Epiphone designed or built it in the first place. The archtop guitar isn't a classic, but it looks and sounds like one, so it is a keeper. I don't need or want an upright any different from the plywood doghouse I already have. The Zombiecaster is such an odd little guitar that it is a keeper, too. That's the entire arsenal for now. If I assemble a Tele, I'll probably keep that, too, and be done. No reason to sell anything, ever. It has taken years to amass all these guitars, but I don't wheel and deal or trade much. I don't mind waiting to get what I want since it will stick around a long time once I have it.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one I wish I still had. It's an MIJ Epiphone Elitist EB-3 with a TB+ humbucker added (middle). It had all Gibson USA pups & pots, and the quality was superb. It now lives with my son in Seattle and he won't give it up.[unsure]

C100_1320.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a 4003 that I used to get back to my SG Std. I don't miss the 4003 a bit. For my old back, the SG Std. is just right.

I got back the 4003 Mapleglo Rickenbacker.

Archived