Gibson Brands Forums

Any Basses You Parted With, And Wish You Haden't?

sgbass

Did you have any basses you sold, gave to a family member, was stolen, etc.? And wish you had it back again? I know myself, I had a 1969 EB0 I sold to a friend. $350.00, I bought it brand new off the wall from MAE music store in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Oh well.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had a few basses in 41 yrs. of playing, but that 1969 EB0 had so much balls to it. My lead player at the time was using a Rick., with a Fender Twin Reverb. I was using a Traynor Bassmate, with a home made two twelve cab. My SG Std. Bass sounds so good through the Marshall set up i'm using now. I'll have to keep this SG Std, I don't think i'll live 41 more yrs. to do this all over again.

I had three Rickenbacker 4003S/5 strings; turquoise, black and desert gold. I also had a Rickenbacker 4001 limited edition Chris Squire. I sold them to get a Dodge Demon 340/4 speed; I don't regret getting the car but I miss the basses!

I actually did have an additional Rickenbacker 4 string bass, a 4003 in maple.

I really liked the Rickenbacker 5 string that was later discontinued, I think in 2003. I had a difficult time playing this particular 5 string due to the narrow string spacing. I always liked the the way the notes sounded on the thicker low B string. At that time, I didn't play with a pick. Maybe these 5 strings would have been O.K. if I had played them with a pick. Maybe it's just my inability to deal with the closer strings.[biggrin] In retrospect, I should have only bought one of them; but they looked and sounded awesome! It was a serious issue of G.A.S.[lol]

After I sold them (for a fair price I might add) to put towards the purchase of the Dodge Demon, I later got involved in playing (learning) the guitar and now have six awesome Gibson guitars. Yep; I got G.A.S. again![biggrin]

About a year ago, I did get an Epiphone EBO which obviously doesn't have the low B, but sure is a lot of fun to play due to the short scale. I do want to get another 5 string bass down the road. Maybe Gibson will come up with a new/different 5 string model that would go well with the others.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I should have kept my late 60's EBO as it was my first real left handed bass!(just turned 60 & I am becoming sentimental of the old music days!) everything prior was right handed played upside down which were Eko, Hofner B Bass, Gibson EB2, Hagstrom 8 string, Vox &Fender Mustang bass (yellow with red racing stripe).

Currently the lefty basses I have are:

73 Ricky 4001 which will be buried with me.

Hofner Icon Beatle bass for fun to play around with,

2009 lefty Fender Jazz MIJ that I now use for jammin. etc.

since I have retired my Ricky.[biggrin]

I have had a few basses in 41 yrs. of playing' date=' but that 1969 EB0 had so much balls to it. My lead player at the time was using a Rick., with a Fender Twin Reverb. I was using a Traynor Bassmate, with a home made two twelve cab. My SG Std. Bass sounds so good through the Marshall set up i'm using now. I'll have to keep this SG Std, I don't think i'll live 41 more yrs. to do this all over again. [/quote']

From about 1970 to 73' I also had an EBO bass and played it through a 100 watt Traynor head with two homemade two twelve TB1 cabinets. I can't remember where I got it, or who I sold it to, but while I had it it was glued to my hip. One of these days I'll buy another one.

If I ever sold the EB-2 I would regret it. But, I still have it. Once you are happy with an instrument, there's not much reason to change. It's not the only bass I own, but it's the one I'm least likely to part with.

• 2 months later...

`

Kramer Fretless P-type.

Nothing else can possibly sound like an

aluminum necked fretless P-bass ....

for better or for worser :-)

I did like the sound .... but the weight !!!!

Never weighed it but I'd guess 12 lb.

It had a lined FB and the "filler" in the slots

was also aluminum, silver up to the octave

and then gold above it. Crazy.

.... And acoarst my fretless XM-2 'Berger !

Selling *that* was sheer stoopidididity.

`

I had a brown EB-3 (played that one for a living) - I can't

even remember how it came to be that it went away.

Perhaps I traded it for an aluminum-necked

fretless Kramer... That one was stolen from me.

Wish I still had both.

Go here [and enter "alum" in the keyword box] :

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm?srch&category=38

Save me from myself ! Buy it afore I do !

`

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a 1969 EB0 that I bought new just before graduating high school. That was a real mistake. Not to long a go, I parted with an SG Std. Heritage Cherry. That was a really big mistake.

Archived