Gibson Brands Forums

LGO bridge fix

camsdaddy

I received a Gibson LGO as a gift from my late step father. This was my first real guitar and I really have enjoyed it. I accidently went with a set of medium strings and caused the bridge to lift. I took it to my local shop and they said that the wood under the bridge is arched and have been trying to get it to relax. This guitar has much more sentimental value than material value. I love this guitar and the way it sounds and plays is there any advise on the repair of or is it shot. Also anyone familiar with these what model would i look for that would compare to the LGO.

Thanks

I received a Gibson LGO as a gift from my late step father. This was my first real guitar and I really have enjoyed it. I accidently went with a set of medium strings and caused the bridge to lift. I took it to my local shop and they said that the wood under the bridge is arched and have been trying to get it to relax. This guitar has much more sentimental value than material value. I love this guitar and the way it sounds and plays is there any advise on the repair of or is it shot. Also anyone familiar with these what model would i look for that would compare to the LGO.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. I would think any good repair shop should be able to repair it. If your shop can't do it, check with a different shop.

Well I didnt think it was a big deal to begin with but it seems to be more than they expected. They have had it for a few months and I got the getting around to it excuse and now I am getting just not done excuse. I think I will pick it up and see if I can find someone who can actually fix it. Guess I just wanted to hear the suggestion from someone else.

I think I'd check with someone else. If you get it back, it might be worth taking some pictures. You might be able to e-mail the pictures to some other repair shops so they know what they're dealing with and can give you an estimate and let you know if it's possible to repair it or not.

I'd suggest another repairman. It's quite possible it needs a new bridge plate under the top in addition to a new bridge. A new bridge plate under the top should straighten the wood under the bridge. It is not uncommon for a guitar to need a new bridge plate when the bridge lifts. It'll be more costly that if it didn't need a bridge plate, but it something a decent repairman can certainly do. If nothing else, check if there is an authorized Gibson repairperson in your area and then call him. I believe a listing of local authorized Gibson repairmen are listed somewhere on the Gibson site (or at least they were last time I looked.)

QM

Edited for gross spelling errors.... the ones I caught anyway.

I think the LG-0 models had big honkin' bridge plates but soft, could have even been spruce. I don't know what would happen if it were replaced with an 1/8" maple one of the same dimensions; seems like it would stiffen the top too much. Conversely a small trapezoid plate as found on an LG-3 (or other x-braced model) might not give enough support since there's no 'x' to tie into.

Gibson may have used the huge plate since most LG-0s have plastic bridges held on with two screws and they therefore provide no strength to the top whatsoever. My crystal ball says if a wooden bridge were glued on in the traditional fashion a smaller maple plate could also be installed. The question in my mind would be how small could the plate be and still be effective. I don't know what one would see inside an LG-1, as it would be ladder braced but have a wooden bridge.

Of course knowing Gibson, the earlier ones would be lightly plated and imploded, the later 'we don't need no steenkin' warranty claims' models would have heavier plates and sound like a white female midwestern kindergarten teacher trying to sing Big Mama Thornton.

Well I didnt think it was a big deal to begin with but it seems to

be more than they expected. They have had it for a few months and I got the getting

around to it excuse and now I am getting just not done excuse. I think I will pick it up

and see if I can find someone who can actually fix it. Guess I just wanted to hear the

suggestion from someone else.

I think they're too scared to touch it. Sounds to me they're hoping the top will relax

of it's own volition. It could, but if it ain't done so after a 'few months', it's not likely to

fix itself anytime soon.

It's your box, go pick it up and take it elsewhere. And don't let them charge you

"storage."

The only thing worse than not being able to fix something is not having the guts to

say, "I can't fix it." That and some knuckle dragger trying to 'learn' how to fix it.

Better pick it up before the sun sets.

• 1 month later...

I have a shop in Philadelphia called Enigma Guitar Repair located at 3245 Amber St. Philadelphia PA 19099. I would be happy to fix this guitar for you in one months time. It sounds like it might need a new bridge plate. you can correspond with me via my email to A.kowal55@yahoo.com to discuss the guitar and shipping if you would like. I have the experience in this sort of repair and I have quick turnaround time.

Gee, that's great, I never thought of offering my repair talents to the members of this board for a fee! Why didn't I think of that? [-X All this time I've been offering advice for FREE and I could have been drumming up business.

I guess I'll never pass Business 101...

My '65 has a huge bridge plate. It's about 1/8" thick, and probably eight inches wide at the longest points.

Is this an older/newer model, or a middle-aged model with the plastic bridge? If it's plastic, like mine, you should just go ahead and replace it.

The only thing worse than not being able to fix something is not having the guts to

say, "I can't fix it." That and some knuckle dragger trying to 'learn' how to fix it.

The first (and only, so far) shop I've taken my LG-0 to looked it over, and said "I don't have anyone who can do this."

Archived