Gibson Brands Forums

Need an Explorer Wiring Diagram

bloodspoint

Hi all,

I recently picked up an Explorer of the usual configuration - 2 pickups, two volumes, one tone, switch on the lower bout.

Problem is the guy who owned it before me managed to completely goober up the wiring. He's got stuff spliced and taped all over to the point I think it would be better just to scrap it and re-do all the wiring, but I'd like to know where stuff is supposed to go. In particular, I'm not sure where the Tone fits in the circuit,since it works on both pickups.

Anybody know where I can find a diagram? Google searches took me to a bunch of sites that had appliance schematics and the like.

Thanks,

Sean

Yoda, that wiring diagram seems to be for active pickups since it has a battery clip.

Nice avatar by the way, made me do a double-take.

For wiring schematics I use SeymourDuncan.com, they have all kinds of options. Go to the wiring section on their website. The only thing I do not suggest is using the 0.047 caps they show, it is just too much for humbuckers 0.022 is just fine.

I rewired my Explorer to 1 Volume and 2 Tones using 500k CTS pots from RSGuitarWorks.net, I bought the volume "superpot" which is more expensive but well worth it, the linear taper is all that it should be.

I could not get used to a 2 volume 1 Tone configuration, I do not know why.

Archived