Gibson Brands Forums

ES 333 Pickups

JayFi

I recently picked up an ES 333 on trade. Not super familiar with this particular guitar's history, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if these guitars ever came with pickup covers? Every stock photo I've seen lacks them.

P4180004.jpg

The previous owner believes it to be an '02 or '03 - and it looks like the guitar has been polished, as I've heard these originally had a satin finish.

Thanks guys - I'm really pleased with the guitar! The previous owner wasn't really sure when I asked if they were the original pickups... and of course I was kinda hoping that someone had done an upgrade [cool]

I was totally stoked when Gibby released the last round of 333s. The perfect Workingman's 335. I was really bummed when they did not sell well and were discontinued.

I have one I bought in Monterey, CA in 2004 and consider myself one lucky man. The neck on my 333 is as close to guitar neck nirvana as I can get.

• 2 weeks later...
I was really bummed when they did not sell well and were discontinued.

I think it was the other way around' date=' they sold too well and cut into 335 sales. After discontinuing them, Gibson released the 335 satin, which is the same thing except without any neck binding, and for a much higher selling price. Gotta have neck binding.

They came stock with uncovered 498T/490R pickups (double black), however, many people added covers.

I added Duncan Seth Lovers to mine. I sold it and am in the market for another (brown) one.

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/tattooedcarrot/Gear/Past%20Gear/Guitars/333a.jpg[/img]

• 5 years later...

I think it was the other way around, they sold too well and cut into 335 sales. After discontinuing them, Gibson released the 335 satin, which is the same thing except without any neck binding, and for a much higher selling price. Gotta have neck binding.

They came stock with uncovered 498T/490R pickups (double black), however, many people added covers.

....... and a 'soft case'. They also lacked a pickguard and the 'Gibson' logo was 'silkscreened' rather than real or phony "MOP". It also lacks the 'squashed frog' symbol, which I can live without.

Yes, Gibson were no doubt losing sales of the more expensive 335's as folks realised a whole ton of money could be saved by buying the 'lowly' ES333.

And very much on the plus side, they have a removeable cover on the back to access the various controls should any upgrades, downgrades, or other 'tweeks' be on the agenda. A great feature, which the ES335 lacks. The overall build is pretty much the same as the 335, with identical choice of woods, bracing and hardware etc, other than the typical Classic 57 pickups.

BTW, the binding is all there too, unlike the Satin ES335 I guess.

Why such a late posting? Well, I just happened to be doing a little homework on the 333, when I saw this thread ....

I am very much indebted to the tardiness of a fellow enthusiast who is currently looking for a similar ES guitar as a trade on another Gibson he/she owns, and one that I thought I may like to acquire. I have yet to receive a reply to my offer of the ES333. Meanwhile I have dusted off the 333, and consequently have spent much of the last day or so playing and utterly enjoying the thing. Know what? This thing is going nowhere! This is a brilliant guitar. What was I thinking??!! You snooze, you lose eh? Hey feller, thanks for not answering your mail.... =D>

My now 'keeper' ES333 in Faded Satin 'Antique Cherry' finish.

Changes from original spec include the excellent 'Lollar low wind Imperial HB's with nickel covers, replacing the original 'hotter' 498/490 with uncovered pickups and a SKB hard shell case to replace the original 'soft' case.

As the guitar now sits, it is very much as good as any ES335 I have owned or still own, and as I have already said, this guitar is staying right here.

Phew! ......another near miss, I guess.

ES3335three.jpg

ES3335one.jpg

ES3335two.jpg

Archived