Gibson Brands Forums

where to put strap button?

hemet

I have a new guitar that I want to put a strap button on. It has a rather flat heel rather than the pointy style older Gibsons and Martins have. I looked on the Elderly site and most were on the treble side, pretty far up toward the fingerboard. Where do you suggest?

Boy, you're going to get a half-dozen answers to this question :)

My conversations with the gang at the plant say do not install a strap button, but rather do as Danville does and tie the strap around the headstock. Most folks prefer to have the strap button installed on the treble side, but when I took my Gibson in for a strap button, they installed it straight into the neck, saying that's the only place Gibson suggests. So, we'll wait to see what others say :)

Do a search of THIS site for "strap buttons", and you will see many threads and a few very heated arguements on the subject. Anyway, there is already a bunch of good information here on the subject and the choice has a lot to do with personal preference. I've had to put front strap buttons on two of my archtops, and "to me" there is ONLY one proper and correct placement.

2840718563_764bfc2db9_o.jpg

I have nothing more to say on the subject, even if there are people that want to screw a strap button into the side of their neck! [biggrin]

I had the strap button on my Larrivee in that position that Larry describes. It is neat and clean but there are two problems with it; the guitar sits on that button in the case and more importantly the guitar rolls forward when standing.

I put mine on the treble side of the heel on my SWD. Just feels better.

Your mileage may vary of course.

I don't have a button on my '79 Dove....so I bought a strap that goes around the headstock... I just didn't want to modify it from original.

+1!!! I just tie my strap around the headstock with a leather bootlace. It's worked for me the last 45 years!!! To each his own!

Thank you all for the info, I see there is no consensus. What I have is a new custom built guitar based on a 1028 Lucas It is not a vintage or collectable guitar so I dont think the treble button would be an issue. I have played a Gibson with the button straight in and standing it caused the guitar to roll forward, not to my liking but sitting it is not a problem. I am concerned with the thought that the guitars weight will be on the button there when cased. I had a Martin for quited awhile that I did the headstock thing and it got in the way so I am undecided at this point. My main concern is not looks but whether or not there are safety/function issues. I will take the suggestion to search this forum, additional info is also appreciated.

Smitty

I don't have a button on my '79 Dove....so I bought a strap that goes around the headstock... I just didn't want to modify it from original.

that's how i rock my giteres, when you have a top of the line acoustic on. i trust my knot better that the slot on a strap, and strap locks suck.

the guitar sits on that button in the case

That's something I've never though of, and that's my favourite place for a strap button too.

I think a lot of anguish over this issue would be avoided if Gibson installed a strap button at the factory. But then I suppose a lot of people would not be happy with the location they chose.

This is what I bought for both my Dove and Doves In Flight...I just couldn't bring myself to put on a strap button. I'm very comfortable with them, and the thick strap won't damage the finish on the headstock.

7f93_12.JPG

• 1 month later...

Gillian seems to always tie to the headstock, but there's a 5-position strap button on that '56 J-50. And evidently Dave had no problem putting a strap button on that '35 Epiphone archtop. It's in the 5 position, also.

GillandDave.jpg

you may have seen this if you did a search and checked other strap debate threads, but for anyone who hasn't seen it, here is the official Strap button photo... [biggrin]

I have always preferred Position #5, under the heel. It is where my Taylor's button came and where I had my Luthier install them in both my Gibsons. It is the most comfortable and safe spot in my opinion.

Straplocation_1.jpg

That looks a bit like acupuncture !!

We suggest the back of the heel or somewhere on the lowest portion of the neck so as not to interfere with the truss rod. Normally, about 2 inches from the neck joint up can be considered as a “safe” area- better ask an experienced luthier to do it however.

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

00800-4GIBSON1

00800-44427661

www.gibson.com

service.europe@gibson.com

you may have seen this if you did a search and checked other strap debate threads' date=' but for anyone who hasn't seen it, here is the official Strap button photo... [biggrin']

I have always preferred Position #5, under the heel. It is where my Taylor's button came and where I had my Luthier install them in both my Gibsons. It is the most comfortable and safe spot in my opinion.

Straplocation_1.jpg

Position #5 for me, too. I had my luthier put one there on each of my Gibsons. I have the strap button when I stop in, and he puts it on for $5.

Straplocation_1.jpg

inNSho:

1. Ick

2. Double Ick

4. Perfect but some heels aren't flat enough here. May need to mill a flat surface first. (just kidding about the milling)

3. Maybe perfecter, but requires installation of a back-up block to screw into. The rib won't hold it.

5. Not as perfect but a lot of them are done this way.

The example is obviously owned by someone with poor decision making skills. #-o

cool, I put mine on the 4 position its decent I was warned not to put straps on the headstock by the luthier i go to, but ive heard on the net that is just a myth.... anyways glad u got a solution

I have a question. Is there any risk for the neck using a lace in the headstock? I always have played electric guitars and I have passed to acoustic a year ago. I don't know if the neck can be bended or if this is an urban legend.

Gibson Montana just put mine on the treble heel side of the neck and said that was the best place to put it and would take tension off the neck especially if you tend to push down on the guitar as you play.

I have a question. Is there any risk for the neck using a lace in the headstock? I always have played electric guitars and I have passed to acoustic a year ago. I don't know if the neck can be bended or if this is an urban legend.

It's an old luthier's tale with no regard to the physics involved. If the, comparatively, light weight of the guit tar, could warp a neck the collective string tensions ought to fold her right up.

As a matter of fact the preferred upper mount on a 12 string is at the nut, owing to the gross imbalance caused by twice the tuning hardware. And we all know that 12 strings tug on the bridge with much more "weight".

In every picture I've ever seen of Gillian Welch playing her vintage J-50 standing, she has the strap tied to the headstock (see pic above). The guitar seems just fine.

My SWD has no strap button and I use a leather strap around the headstock onto which the strap is attached. Works great for me and is nicely balanced.

My Tak 12 has a heel button but as Tommy says, it is very headstock heavy and difficult when playing standing up. It's much better when tied to the headstock.

Archived