Gibson Brands Forums

1969 Gibson SG Neck oddity

superaxe63

Blacklighting is pretty much only useful to detect new touchups on an old finish. If the whole neck was refinished when it was sanded down blacklighting will tell you nothing. The missing dot on the "i" is quite common for 69 especially on the Les Pauls. The open "b" and "o" with the missing dot on the "i" is actually what makes me think that your neck is a 69. I think your guitar is all real gibson parts. The serial numbers were so often so lightly imprinted that it would take very little sanding to lose them. The person who rebuilt her did go a little overboard on the sides of the headstock, but as I said earlier is was probably because of a bad chip or the like.

I dont read too much into different colours of timber between neck and body as its 2 seperate pieces of wood. The finish matches between them. I would love to see pictures of you guys with matching neck joints! that would be interesting.

Your neck and body have 2 different finishes - as I said before' date=' the tint and lacquer depth are different. As for matching body / neck joints, here is a 'decent' match from my SG that I reshaped and refinished in the early '80s. In different light / at a different angle, you can just make out the changes.

[img']http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w352/marscape1/IMG_9200640x480.jpg[/img]

Yes, i guess the two finishes do look different, it must have been done a long time ago. Thanks for the picture, the neck to body joint still shows a step though between the two, where as mine is flush!?. Anyways thanks for your interest in the guitar like has been said if it fits theres no problem and in this case it fits perfectly

Thanks hagstrom71, thats what i wanted to see and really helps me! Heres some more pix. Neck refinish only? ill check with black light again but i would have thought something would show on a full refinish.

[DSCF0012-1.jpg

[DSCF0009.jpg

[DSCF0008-4.jpg

In the above image, the neck appears to have been removed at some point for what it appears to be a reset. I'm no finish expert, but maybe the tech that performed the reset, refinished the neck heal area as a cleanup procedure and didnt quite match up the finish.

Yes, there's been some work carried out. As superaxe says, it was probably a while back. It's all interesting, but at the end of the day, the important thing is to play and enjoy the guitar !

Thanks BigKahune, it took a while to build up an even, gloss finish. I have a few pictures I took last year while giving it a clean. This finish has never been polished at all - it was straight from the gun. I used to spray a lot of nitro-cellulose, and could usually get it looking ok. The grain appearance seems to vary a lot depending on flash or natural light. The SG was played a lot (there is some fretwear), but I always tried to look after it.

Copy1ofIMG_335105-03-2010.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0384-1.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

[biggrin] ....SWEET!!!

You wanna refinish my SG200[biggrin]

Thanks Duane' date=' I must admit I miss the smell of nitro - I'm sure I became addicted to it ! [biggrin

BigKahune - thanks, I appreciate your comments ! I had to be very patient waiting between coats, and fortunately it did turn out nice and smooth.

Superaxe, thank you ! I'm up in Derbyshire. It would be nice to do some refinishing again - have to say nitro is great to work with.

This would have been pretty low - about 30 psi I think. It was thinned down more than normal which gave it a more 'wet' look. It needed quite a few coats, and put a fair bit of solvent in the air ! It was the old style siphon gun with narrow fan, and I held it closer than normal but moved faster. What I used to do was follow the contours as accurately as possible and watch the surface like a hawk. With the final coat, I always used to load up the surface as thick as I dared. I never sprayed a guitar hung in one position, I was always turning it to get the best angle.

By the way, this was over the original matt finish that Gibson applied to "The SG" and "The Paul".

Archived