Gibson Brands Forums

I need a lick

I'm so ticked that I can't take a scale and make it mine. Combine a little hook into something that is fun to play...can carry into a pentatonic scale or as a finishing bit. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Every time I get a cool riff in my head, by the time I get to a guitar and start working it out it's gone.

On the rare chance I remember it long enough, when it starts coming together I realize it sounds.....

....exactly .... like..... some other..... song that I've heard a million times and now I can't get THAT out of my head!

DOH!!!

I dont think theres many variations of the pentatonic scale that havent already been explored which makes a lick sound like something else. But there are so many lead phrases from different solos that have runs that are almost identical. Im no expert its just something I noticed playing (read trying to) lots of different leads. I would rather learn sstuff someone else has done than try to make my own. should make me a better player faster.

One of the things that helped me with that was jammin with other people. If you do not have anyone, you may want to consider a drum machine. You set a cool little grove on it and then play around over the top of it.

ZOOM had a pretty inexpensive one. You can also look at some that have bass lines on it as well. I have one that I play along with and it really peaks my creativity.

Just givesme something to play along with and helpsme with my timing and feel.

I'll agree about getting it down right away. If you have a good DAW you can record right onto your computer and most come with loads of drum and bass tracks you can set the tempo to.

It is hard to come up with original material that doesn't sound even a little like something that's already been done but every once and a while usually when I'm not trying it just comes to me and seems so natural. Don't try too hard. You'll get your lick.

I'm so ticked that I can't take a scale and make it mine. Combine a little hook into something that is fun to play...can carry into a pentatonic scale or as a finishing bit. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

You need to build a vocabulary of licks. For example, if you're playing in A minor pentatonic you need to build a vocabulary of licks from that scale. Learn licks that last four beats (one measure) and licks that last eight beats (two measures). Practice chaining the licks together one right after the other. These licks are the building blocks of lead guitar.

If you try to play a lead and you "carry into a pentatonic scale" it's going to sound like you're playing a scale. I bet you can identify with this. You must play licks which are just melodies from the scale. It takes a little work but you'll get it.

An excellent way to build your "vocabulary of licks" is the Classic Metal Licks DVD by Metal Method. It includes over a hundred licks all in the key of A minor. You can move all of the licks up and down the neck to assemble leads in any key. It's pretty much the industry standard. Check it out: http://www.metalmethod.com/guitar-licks.htm

Archived