Gibson Brands Forums

les paul standard

giusmeli

For some reason, I don't think this number computes if your guitar is a Gibson.

- In 1977, Gibson introduced the serialization method that we primarily use to this day at Gibson USA, Gibson Acoustic, and the Gibson Custom facility in Memphis, TN.

The serial number will be an 8 digit number impressed into the back of the headstock with "MADE IN USA" below.

The pattern is as follows:

YDDDYRRR

YY is the production year

DDD is the day of the year

RRR is the factory ranking/plant designation number.

Prior to 1984 when the Kalamazoo, MI factory was closed, the numbers 001-499 indicated Kalamazoo production. Ranking numbers 500-999 continued to indicate Nashville production through 1989.

Since 1989, all Gibson acoustics are built in Bozeman, MT and all Gibson electrics are built in Nashville or Memphis. Ranking numbers for Bozeman start each day at 001 and the electrics may start as low as the 300s.

Examples: 70108276 means the instrument was produced on Jan. 10, 1978, in Kalamazoo and was the 276th instrument stamped that day.

82765501 means the instrument was produced on Oct. 3, 1985, in Nashville and was the 1st instrument stamped that day.

According to this number: 94040017, your guitar was built on the 404th day of 1990!! #-o

Is this the correct number or what am I missing?

For some reason' date=' I don't think this number computes if your guitar is a Gibson.

[b']- In 1977, Gibson introduced the serialization method that we primarily use to this day at Gibson USA, Gibson Acoustic, and the Gibson Custom facility in Memphis, TN.

The serial number will be an 8 digit number impressed into the back of the headstock with "MADE IN USA" below.

The pattern is as follows:

YDDDYRRR

YY is the production year

DDD is the day of the year

RRR is the factory ranking/plant designation number.

Prior to 1984 when the Kalamazoo, MI factory was closed, the numbers 001-499 indicated Kalamazoo production. Ranking numbers 500-999 continued to indicate Nashville production through 1989.

Since 1989, all Gibson acoustics are built in Bozeman, MT and all Gibson electrics are built in Nashville or Memphis. Ranking numbers for Bozeman start each day at 001 and the electrics may start as low as the 300s.

Examples: 70108276 means the instrument was produced on Jan. 10, 1978, in Kalamazoo and was the 276th instrument stamped that day.

82765501 means the instrument was produced on Oct. 3, 1985, in Nashville and was the 1st instrument stamped that day.[/b]

According to this number: 94040017, your guitar was built on the 404th day of 1990!! eusa_think.gif

Is this the correct number or what am I missing?

My serial # seems to follow DDDYPxxx... where DDD=day of the year, Y= year, and I can only assume that P is the plant designator and xxx the production number(mine are 1301-- Nashville, first guitar that day).... but the days would not be correct for his S/N here either.....

[chuckle] ya think Gibson just made so dang many guitars that year they ran out of numbers and had to make some up?? [/chuckle]

G..i-b..ss..son... who are they, i dont know why but that name seems familiar... oh now i got it... they must be related to that actor mel gibson... why would you call them about guitars?

Maybe you should consider calling Gibson instead...

Hey Epinder, good stuff.

Glad to see another Arizona Gibson guy. What area are you in?

I'm west of Phoenix, not far from the nuke plant.

Hey guys, as you can see by Epinder's post, there are no concrete rules on serial numbers.

The one constant, the single unshakeable protocol concerning Gibson serial numbers?

The one thing you can be sure of, there is no way to know for sure using conventional serial decoding.

The simplest, most consistent YDDDYNNN serial was changed to include a fourth number at the end.

The three or four numbers on the end are not etched in stone for their indications.

The protocol fro R7, R9, etc is its own little system.

The LP Classics have their own unique madness.

Any Reissue, Custom Shop, or limited run guitars made even this year don't fit any normal pattern.

I consider websites touting their ability to date them to be a simple tool, not a final analysis.

If you have any questions regarding a serial number on any Gibson guitar, do yourself and all of us a favor.

CALL GIBSON at 1-800 444-2766 24 hrs a day and ask them yourself.

It's a free call, your hold time will be worth it, and you're helping Gibson combat fraud and counterfeits.

Okay, I know being outside the US makes a phone call tough but one of the guys here on the forum - myself included - would be happy to call for you.

Be cool.

Dave

Hey Epinder' date=' good stuff.

Glad to see another Arizona Gibson guy. What area are you in?

I'm west of Phoenix, not far from the nuke plant.[/quote']

Gilbert for me. And to throw a wrench into the whole serial number confusion...my Silverburst Standard has a sn that starts with a GC.

Hey giusmeli, calling is about the only option. Gibson used to respond to forum requests, but with the proliferation of counterfeits they stopped. Let us know if you want someone to call for you, unless you can contact a Gibson rep in Italy.

PS What part of Italy do you live in?

' date=' do yourself and all of us a favor.

[/quote']

Actually, I kinda like doing the S/N research and learning the way they are interpreted.

So, if I may, please amend that to read ",do yourself and most of us a favor."

Archived