Gibson Brands Forums

Alternate Tunings

Hi Everybody,

Recently, I've been writing a lot of songs in drop D tuning. I find the thump of the the low D on 6th string is absolutely awesome, particularly for fingerpicking.

It's occured to me, though, that there must be a lot of other awesome tunings that aren't too complex. My Martin acoustic has always been tough to tune, but since my hog is a breeze, I'm more confident about messing with the pegs during a solo set.

Any suggestions on cool tunings? No need to get all Richard Thompson or anything (i.e. not too crazy), but I'm excited about shaking things up.

Thanks,

Doc

There you go the down tune slide :-k

Pretty soon you'll be playing slide guitar and hawaiian slack key. then it gets even worse and you start thinking well they make seven string guitars.

The last steps are watching Dominic Frasca on u-tube and then your ordering a Chapman stick. eusa_pray.gif:-k :-k

another been there done that and have the t-shirt and in this case the Chapman Stick!

edit - Sorry got to ranting and forgot to answer the question these are fun - OPEN D is my favorite alternate tuning a good example is She Talks to Angels by the Black Crowes or Anticipate by Ani Difranco

OPEN D - D A D F# A D

OPEN G - D G D G B D

OPEN C - C G C G C E

Try this on for size: drop g or g6. Lower your low E (6th) to D, and A (5th)=D G D G B E. You can play all your std tuning partial chords up the neck and mess with the open basses. Bo Carter used this on Arrangement for Me and Paul Geremia uses it to play Blind Lemon's Stocking Foot Blues.

D A D F# A D

This tuning is used frequently by Bruce Cockburn - the transcriptions of his songs in the two music books available for his music are quite accurate. I believe the famous Foxglove is in this tuning, but I am too lazy to go get the book and way too lazy to learn that tune!!

I love open D and open E on acoustic, and open G and D again for resonator/slide work. I do a lot of stuff at my solo gigs in open D, and I especially enjoy playing Chris Whitley's 'Accordingly' and 'The Wid Country' in that key. It's a pretty easy key to work in once you learn a few licks around it. DADF#AD is the way I approach open D.

Archived