Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson mandolin from 1911?

Hello,

While cleaning out the house of my great-uncle, I found a very old Gibson mandolin. There is a sticker with a registration number and the sticker is dated 1911. My uncle's family has been in this house for over 90 years so it's entirely possible the mandolin could be that old. Is there any way to verify how old this instrument really is? Assuming it is this old, what could we do with it? I assume we would want to sell it or perhaps preserve it as an antique. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Lori

Hello' date='

While cleaning out the house of my great-uncle, I found a very old Gibson mandolin. There is a sticker with a registration number and the sticker is dated 1911. My uncle's family has been in this house for over 90 years so it's entirely possible the mandolin could be that old. Is there any way to verify how old this instrument really is? Assuming it is this old, what could we do with it? I assume we would want to sell it or perhaps preserve it as an antique. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Lori[/quote']

Hi

Don't know a huge amount about mandolines but came across this site which might be a starting point

http://www.mandolincafe.com/archives/gibsona/gibsona.html

Somehwre on the mando there sghould be a serial number. Maybe if you posted that on the message board on the site then someone will help

Good luck

Archived