Gibson Brands Forums

1973/74 SG Standard with dot inlay fret board.

G'day everyone from Down Under [cool]

We Aussies love your Gibson Guitars, just like everyone else on the planet! And we all know Angus is a fair judge of guitar character and has done us proud! Its a long way ......

Anyways, I would like to ask for your help regarding an SG I've had for some time now.

Its a 1973/1974 Standard (Cherry) , however, it has a dot inlay (Special) fretboard that is original. Everything else on the guitar is original Standard gear of that era and i have been told by Jacksons Rare Guitars here in Sydney that some SG Standards were made with dot inlay fretboards from the factory but they are rare. I've had several people in the industry look over the guitar now and they've said that the SG is all original.

Does anyone know how rare they are, what they are worth, how many would have been made that way, were they individual orders from the factory, or any other type of information whatsoever???

Otherwise could you point me in the right direction to find this information out?

Many thanks,

Jock.

Welp, you don't have a very good discription of the headstock, hardware, pups, pickguard, controls; and no pictures, all of which would really help.

I took a quick look at Everything SG - they've got the Gibson catlog for 72 and 73. No STD with dots. But there is a Classic with a bound fretboard, dots and soapbar pups.

Guest BentonC

In 1971, Gibson discontinued the SG Standard to move focus to the SG Deluxe. This was basically a SG Standard with some different cosmetic features- inlays being one of the differences. Our records indicate that they recieved small block inlays as a standard feature, but some did get the dot inlays. The SG Standard was then reintroduced to replace the Deluxe in late 1972, but the Deluxe model did continue to ship until 1974.

Sounds like you may have a SG Deluxe...

Would love to see an image.....

I have one of those strange 1972 SG200 that has no volute[confused] ... It also has a stange neck angle.... It's was / is my first guitar..... Got it when I was 10 years old (1974)

That doesn't appear to be an early 70's SG. But looking at the bridge, you can tell it once had a harmonica bridge because there's is no angle. I'm wondering how that SG intonates with a straight Nashville bridge[blink]

Anywhoo, if the tuners are stock, I would dare to say that ebay SG is a 75-76.

If I may ask, does your SG have beveled horns?

The guitar in the photos doesn't have a bound fretboard, so I doubt it's a Standard. More likely something like a Special with covered buckers.

Sorry bout the ignorance but how can I tell if it has beveled horns?

The bevel in the bottom of the cutouts comes up the inside of the horn, usually all the way to the point of the horn. The amount of wood beveled out is also significant - a wide bevel or a narrow bevel.

Some mid '70s SG Standards had unbound fretboards, but they had block inlays... I'm suspicious about this guitar. Much better pictures are needed - headstock front and back would be good. As Duane points out, that bridge is 'interesting'.

Archived