According to Guitar Dater - http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

034570471 was made at the

Nashville Plant' date=' TN, USA

December 11st, 2007

Production Number: 171

Here's some reference info for ya -

http://www.everythingsg.com/index.php/sg3.html

[/quote']

Yeah, I use guitardaterproject.org as well. It does all the "math" for you.

Guitar Dater Project won't tell you if it's real' date=' or not, just when and where it was made... in most cases. There are some things it can't handle.[/quote']

Good for new guitars.

Anything before 1980's i wouldnt go for though.

Simply checking a serial number with Gibson yields just about the same result, becuase real numbers are showing up on fakes. Gibson needs photos and the serial# for a proper ID.

Guitar Dater is a just one tool you can use to see if the serial number might be valid. Then, having a look at the guitar or photos, if you know what to look for, is also useful. Of course, there are those who use pics of real Gibsons to sell fake guitars - the ol' swap-a-roo. It's brutal.

• 5 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Necro thread, but "Guitar Dater" imo, sucks butt.

I have a 2014, it still can't decode the serial.

Go to the Gibson site, and decipher it yourself, or call them. Too many place faith in that broken dater.

Necro answer - The Guitar Dater is merely a decoder that works by using known serial number formats and decoding them for you. It's frequently not up to date on serial changes. It's also not based on any manufacturers shipping records so it can't tell you if the serial is re-used, fake or what the details are of any particular guitar.

Contact Gibson at service@gibson.com and provide them with the serial number and a good photo or two of the guitar (2mb limit).

I just bought a new Les Paul Standard and would like you to check the serial number for me: 91029466

. I want to verify the year of manufacture, whether it has a 60's neck and the color. Thank you.

Another zombie resurrection.

You're saying this serial is new - but that's not likely since the serial is from 1999.

To verify the year of manufacture, neck type and finish, contact Gibson at service@gibson.com and provide them with the serial number and a good photo or two of the guitar (2mb limit).

• 3 years later...

Hey everyone. I recently found an I dentical twin to my very first Gibson. It’s “The Paul” when I bought it in the late ‘80s I was told it was solid walnut (was very heavy) I ended having to part with it and just came across another one and it appears to have been made on my birthday! Anyway, I need help verifying the date and authenticity of this guitar. I’ve been to a few sites and all seem to point me in a different direction and one has even said it didn’t recognize the number! 
SN: 71169524

Any help would be appreciated 

0A409834-7261-4C09-A9BC-2AA64FA36DD0.jpeg

498A16D1-722B-416B-9E8A-31E7CE25AD21.jpeg

• 4 months later...
On 12/24/2019 at 11:17 AM, ben_suspended said:

Hey everyone. I recently found an I dentical twin to my very first Gibson. It’s “The Paul” when I bought it in the late ‘80s I was told it was solid walnut (was very heavy) I ended having to part with it and just came across another one and it appears to have been made on my birthday! Anyway, I need help verifying the date and authenticity of this guitar. I’ve been to a few sites and all seem to point me in a different direction and one has even said it didn’t recognize the number! 
SN: 71169524

Any help would be appreciated 

0A409834-7261-4C09-A9BC-2AA64FA36DD0.jpeg

498A16D1-722B-416B-9E8A-31E7CE25AD21.jpeg

One of those was my first electric guitar.

8 hours ago, TL5 said:

Can someone tell me what kind of Les Paul I have? This is the serial number: 94046571

thanks

louis

Louis, 

That serial number can only reveal that it is a Gibson made in Nashville, TN on February 7th of 1996. 

Contact Gibson, and their Customer Service people  can tell you what model of Les Paul you have by their serial number registry.  They'll even send you the full specs on her. 

https://www.gibson.com/Support/Customer-Service

Or, post a photo or two of the guitar, and one of our resident fanatics can probably tell you what you have at a quick glance. 

😗

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
5 hours ago, kale smit said:

hey my serial number is 02290492. can you please tell me if this is a Gibson  tribute Les Paul (cheap) or a Les Paul Standard (expensive)

The serial number does not tell you what guitar you have. If you look up any Gibson serial number all it will tell you is day stamped. The number has a few more bits of info, but  not color or model or pickups or anything else of value. It is impossible to tell if just by that number if you have a LP or SG or ES-335 ect.

So you bought a LP and have no clue what model it is? Did you ask the seller or did you just find this LP on the curb?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper