Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Ranger GA-55 RVT 100 watt 4X10 amp

Steve72

Recently lucked into an incredibly clean all original Ranger GA-55RVT. A fellow from a local church found it under the steps at the church and knew I had a Line 6 amp I had been trying to sell. He offered it to me for a straight trade. Well needless to say, I couldn't get there quick enough. This amp is unmolested, all original tubes, speakers, perfect logo and grill, no rips/tears in Tolex, has the original trem/reverb pedal.. Etc... I can't seem to find anyone that has any info on this model though. Even the local vintage guy said he had only ever heard of them but hadn't seen one. I do know the specs and stuff from my hours searching. But I was kind of looking for someone else who may have owned one or had anymore history on it. I know it was a 65/66 model and is referred to as a "white face" model. I've been playing it with my Les Paul and original BigMuff pedal and it sounds incredible. Very warm tones. I had been leaning towards gigging with it but want to make sure it's not too pricey or possibly rare??just in case. Any help, general history, or push in a direction to some answers would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Steve

So I gave the Ranger a good run last night at practice. About 4 hours. The longest it's been played since I got it. She held up good up until the end and then blew a speaker. Wasn't bad, I stopped as soon as I heard it start to sound a bit "crackly". So....... now looks like I'm in the market for a new speaker or maybe replace all 4 before it happenes to another one. The thing is 45 years old! Better to keep the originals maybe stashed away safe. Looking at replacing with a nice set of Jensens maybe???? Any thoughts?

Jensen would be one good option. You might think about Celestion as another possibility. A couple great sites for vintage amp replacement parts are www.tubesandmore.com and www.mojotone.com .

Thanks BobB. I am kicking around my options, Celestion being my other choice. Going to have someone go through the whole thing before settling on speakes, just to make sure everything is up to par and will handle being put back into steady use after years of sitting. Thanks for the links, that helps quite a bit.

Archived